Quantum superposition from interference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of superposition through interference in the context of a double-slit experiment. It also mentions the caution of relying on information from Wikipedia and the concept of discrete paths in relation to interference. The conclusion is that while interference can demonstrate the possibility of multiple paths, it does not necessarily prove that an object is actually moving along all of those paths.
exmarine
While studying the wiki article for Quantum Superposition, I find this sentence:

“An example of a physically observable manifestation of superposition is interference peaks from an electron wave in a double-slit experiment.”

Can someone explain how interference proves (shows? demonstrates?) superposition? I search through the rest of the article and don’t recognize it if there. I guess interference shows that the amplitudes for the alternate paths are complex numbers. So… then what? Is one state that it came through slit one, and the superposed state that it came through the other?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. And each and every single electron is in such a superposed state.

exmarine said:
Is one state that it came through slit one, and the superposed state that it came through the other?
Pretty much, although wording it that way treats the two slits asymmetrically, which isn't quite right. Perhaps "the wave function at the screen is a superposition of the contributions from both slits"?

In any case, you should be a bit cautious with wikipedia. Some pages are very good, some not so much... so approach with caution, and always take a look at the "Talk" page.

Yes, that is a better way to say it. Thanks.

I guess what I think is missing from the syllogism is that interference proves that the electron actually came via more than one discrete route. Since according to Feynman’s All Paths stuff, everything actually arrives via more than one path, I think one has to distinguish that for interference, those paths must somehow be discrete. Perhaps there is a better word than discrete?

And then that such a condition for an item is a superposition of states?

Thanks.

exmarine said:
I guess what I think is missing from the syllogism is that interference proves that the electron actually came via more than one discrete route. Since according to Feynman’s All Paths stuff, everything actually arrives via more than one path...
Interference demonstrates that the probability of finding the electron at a given position can be calculated by summing the phase shift along each possible path. The step from there to the conclusion that an electron or anything else is "actually" moving along all those paths feels natural (and might even be right), but it's a step beyond what has been demonstrated.

I think one has to distinguish that for interference, those paths must somehow be discrete. Perhaps there is a better word than discrete?
Many observables (just about anything based the position or momentum of an unbound particle, for example) have continuous spectrums, so "discrete" isn't the right word. "Distinct" or "distinguishable" might work better? Best is not to rely on informal language at all; we're forming the vector sum of rays in Hilbert space and the question never arises.

Likes BvU

Related to Quantum superposition from interference?

What is quantum superposition from interference?

Quantum superposition from interference is a phenomenon in which a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously, due to the interference of different quantum states. This is one of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

How does quantum superposition from interference occur?

Quantum superposition from interference occurs when a quantum system is in a state that is a combination of two or more other states. This is possible because in the quantum world, particles can exist in multiple states at the same time.

What is the significance of quantum superposition from interference?

Quantum superposition from interference is significant because it allows for the creation of quantum computers, which have the potential to solve complex problems at a much faster rate than classical computers. It also helps explain the behavior of subatomic particles and has implications for quantum cryptography and communication.

Can quantum superposition from interference be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum superposition from interference is a phenomenon that occurs at the subatomic level. It cannot be observed in everyday life and requires specialized equipment and techniques to be studied and understood.

Are there any real-world applications of quantum superposition from interference?

Yes, quantum superposition from interference has real-world applications in fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum communication. It also has implications for understanding the behavior of materials and particles at the nanoscale.