Stiffness/Residual Vector Error - NaN/Inf findings

In summary, the author is trying to solve for the stiffness of a semiconductor device having a variable gate voltage. However, the stiffness does not converge when the gate voltage is started from around -15V.
Bera Icli
Hi,

I am especially writing this, because there is no specific explanation I found online. I checked the BCs and other variables, but could not find any mistakes.

I am working on a semiconductor device that is basically n-doped homogeneously, has sizes 50um-15nm, and with a drain voltage 1V on the left boundary, source voltage 0V on the right, and a varying gate voltage at its top with a thin insulator gate of. Although I work on a supercomputer with 36gb ram, and making a mesh not much detailed, I gather the error attached as image.

The error does not happen when I sweep the gate voltage from around -13V to 20V, but whenever I start it from around -15V it just happens. The error contains NaN/Inf findings in the solution, not a convergence error or a iteration one I guess, but somehow a calculation error. The simulation works well for -13V to 20V of gate voltage, giving a nice plot, but not for below -13V.

Sometimes it is an undefined value in stiffness vector, sometimes a residual vector error.

I want to plot the ID-VG graph accordingly, but cannot see below -13V. Can't I simulate after some voltage level?

Any comments for a better simulation?

Thanks,

~bera

Attachments

• IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 495
Engineering news on Phys.org
The amount of information you gave about what you are doing is minuscule. I don't see how anyone could help you, since you don't even mention which program you are using (I would guess COMSOL from the screenshot), nor what you are solving for.

Thank you for replying DrClaude. Yes, unfortunately it escaped my notice while writing the post, I am using COMSOL 5.0. I hope someone can help me out with this. Although it seems COMSOL will not be capable of solving while sweeping below a specific voltage from gate insulator, I hope my problem will be either solved or commented as an insoluble problem.

Is that possible to solve the problem as indicated in the screenshot and continue to keep solve below some voltage level as well.

Related to Stiffness/Residual Vector Error - NaN/Inf findings

1. What is stiffness in relation to residual vector error?

Stiffness refers to the resistance of a material or system to deformation. In the context of residual vector error, stiffness refers to the ability of a system to maintain its original shape or structure after external forces are applied.

2. What causes NaN/Inf findings in stiffness/residual vector error?

NaN (Not a Number) and Inf (Infinity) findings can occur in stiffness or residual vector error calculations when there are mathematical errors or when the values being calculated are too large to be represented by the computer's memory. This can also happen if there are missing or incorrect data inputs.

3. How do NaN/Inf findings affect stiffness/residual vector error calculations?

NaN/Inf findings can greatly affect the accuracy and reliability of stiffness or residual vector error calculations. These findings indicate that the calculations are not valid and may lead to incorrect results. It is important to identify and address these issues in order to obtain accurate results.

4. How can NaN/Inf findings be resolved in stiffness/residual vector error calculations?

NaN/Inf findings can be resolved by checking for errors in the data inputs and correcting any mathematical mistakes. Additionally, using higher precision data types in the calculations can help prevent these findings. It is also important to ensure that the equations and algorithms being used are appropriate for the specific problem being solved.

5. Is it possible to have a system with high stiffness and low residual vector error?

Yes, it is possible for a system to have high stiffness and low residual vector error. This means that the system is able to maintain its original shape or structure even when exposed to external forces, and the calculated error between the actual and predicted values is low. This is an indication of a well-designed and well-functioning system.