Stick with C++ or learn something different?

• Thread starter 2sin54
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the person should deepen their knowledge in C++ or move onto another language for physics simulations. They mention their familiarity with C++ basics but not strings. One person suggests sticking to the STL in C++ or considering Python as an alternative. They also mention the benefits and drawbacks of C++ as a language.
2sin54
Hi. I am finishing my last year in High School and I have a question about programming. For a year or two I had been taught Free Pascal but the last year (grade 12) we have been taught some C++. My C++ knowledge is not as wide as it could or probably should be but I am familiar with the basics of cycles, arrays and other aspects of this level. However, I have not really touched on strings.

Moving on to my question: should I deepen my knowledge in C++ (and if so, what topics and things should I learn that would help me with physics simulations) or should I move onto another, maybe a better physics oriented language?

Physics news on Phys.org
C++ is a fine language to learn. It allows you to program in various paradigms, allows you to make very efficient programs and is widely used. However, it is a very large language, and, it has a lot of features that only serve to maintain compatibility with old standards.
But, if you stick to STL, i think its pretty easy to learn.

Another language I can recommend you is Python. Its easy to learn and very fun to program in and allows for prettier programs than C++.

Do a forum search. This topic gets discussed here frequently and at length.

Related to Stick with C++ or learn something different?

1. Should I stick with C++ or learn something different?

It ultimately depends on your goals and interests. C++ is a powerful and widely-used language, but learning something new can also be beneficial. Consider your career goals and the type of projects you want to work on before making a decision.

2. What are the advantages of sticking with C++?

C++ is a high-performance language, making it a popular choice for applications that require speed and efficiency. It also has a large community of developers and extensive libraries, making it easier to find support and resources.

3. What are the benefits of learning something different?

Learning a new language can expand your skill set and make you a more versatile developer. It can also open up new job opportunities and allow you to work on a wider range of projects. Additionally, learning something new can be intellectually stimulating and keep your skills up-to-date.

4. Is it possible to learn both C++ and a new language?

Yes, it is possible to learn multiple languages. However, it may take more time and effort to become proficient in both. It's important to prioritize and focus on one language at a time, and then build on that knowledge when learning a new one.

5. How do I decide which language to learn?

Consider your interests, career goals, and the type of projects you want to work on. Research the job market and trends in the industry to see which languages are in high demand. It's also helpful to talk to experienced developers and get their insights and recommendations.