Steps to differentiate a geometric sum

In summary, to differentiate a geometric sum, x, you can either directly differentiate the series or differentiate the formula obtained for the sum. The derivative on both sides of the geometric sum, with respect to x, can be expressed as \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}) = \frac{x^{n}(n(x-1)-1)+1}{(x-1)^2}.
Crystals
Can someone guide me with the steps to differentiate a geometric sum, x?

[itex]^{n}_{i=0}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex]x[STRIKE][itex]^{i}[/itex][/STRIKE]=[itex]\frac{1-x^{n+i}}{1-x}[/itex]

If I'm not wrong, the summation means:

[itex]= x^0 + x^1 + x^2 + x^3 + ... + n^i[/itex]

Problem is:
I have basic knowledge on differentiating a normal numbers but how do I apply differentiate on a geometric sum?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its been a while since I looked at these kinds of problems, so I checked out Paul's Online Calculus Notes, which is a good reference.

I would think that...

[itex] \frac {d}{dx} \sum_{n=0}^{i} x^{i} = \sum_{n=0}^{i} \frac {d}{dx} x^{i} [/itex].

From there, I would see the what the series actually looks like, then express the summation as a formula.

And I think that this is valid for the derivative of a Power Series.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\sum a_n(x))= \sum \frac{da_n(x)}{dx}[/tex]

if and only if the initial sum is "uniformly convergent". All power series are uniformly convergent inside the radius of convergence.

Crystals said:
Can someone guide me with the steps to differentiate a geometric sum, x?

[itex]^{n}_{i=0}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex]x[STRIKE][itex]^{i}[/itex][/STRIKE]=[itex]\frac{1-x^{n+i}}{1-x}[/itex]

If I'm not wrong, the summation means:

[itex]= x^0 + x^1 + x^2 + x^3 + ... + n^i[/itex]

Problem is:
I have basic knowledge on differentiating a normal numbers but how do I apply differentiate on a geometric sum?

You are wrong: it means
[tex]x^0 + x^1 + x^2 + \cdots + x^n = 1 + x + x^2 + \cdots + x^n.[/tex]
Note how the last term differs from yours. Also, this is equal to
[tex] \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}[/tex]
if ##x \neq 1##. You wrote something different, with an ##i## in it (but there is no "##i##" outside of the summation---that is, after you do the sum, the "##i##' no longer 'exists').

Anyway, your last sentence makes no sense: you cannot differentiate a normal number (unless you want to get 0 always), but you can differentiate functions of x, like your series.

There are two ways to proceed here: (1) differentiate the series directly; and (2) differentiate the formula you have obtained for the sum. In other words:
[tex] (1) \;\text{derivative } = \frac{d}{dx} (1 + x + x^2 + \cdots + x^n) = 1 + 2x + 3x^2 + \cdots + n x^{n-1}\\
(2)\; \text{derivative } = \frac{d}{dx} \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x} = \cdots \cdots[/tex]
I will let you do the derivative here.

Thank you guys for your reply.

I did the (2) derivative by Ray Vickson and this is the draft solution I got.

Is this correct to say that the derivatives both sides of the geometric sum , with respect of x is:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex][itex]\frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{x^{n}(n(x-1)-1)+1}{(x-1)(x-1)}[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{x^{n}(n(x-1)-1)+1}{(x-1)^2}[/itex] (simplified final answer)

I got confused with the question saying "derivatives both sides of the geometric sum". I thought I will need to do the derivatives for both LHS and RHS?

Last edited:

Related to Steps to differentiate a geometric sum

1. What is a geometric sum?

A geometric sum is a series of numbers where each successive term is multiplied by a constant ratio. The sum of these terms can be represented by a formula: S = a + ar + ar^2 + ... + ar^n-1, where 'a' is the first term and 'r' is the common ratio.

2. What are the steps to differentiate a geometric sum?

The steps to differentiate a geometric sum are as follows:
Step 1: Identify the common ratio, 'r'.
Step 2: Write the formula for the sum of a geometric series.
Step 3: Differentiate the formula.
Step 4: Simplify the differentiated formula.
Step 5: Substitute the value of 'r' and the first term, 'a', back into the simplified formula.
Step 6: Simplify the final expression, if possible.

3. What is the derivative of a geometric sum?

The derivative of a geometric sum is the sum of the derivatives of each term in the series. This can be represented by the formula: dS/dx = a + 2ar + 3ar^2 + ... + nar^n-1, where 'a' is the first term and 'r' is the common ratio.

4. How can differentiating a geometric sum be useful?

Differentiating a geometric sum can be useful in many fields of science and mathematics, such as in calculating rates of change, finding maximum and minimum points, and solving problems involving exponential growth or decay.

5. Are there any special cases when differentiating a geometric sum?

Yes, there are two special cases when differentiating a geometric sum:
1. When the common ratio, 'r', is equal to 1, the differentiated formula simplifies to n.
2. When the common ratio, 'r', is equal to -1, the differentiated formula alternates between positive and negative values.