Stepper motor just vibrates and gets hot

In summary, the conversation discusses a 5-wire unipolar J835L motor with a Uni-Polar, Bi-Filar configuration and 120 Ohms of resistance. The motor has a label with information about its steps per revolution and the model number. The individual has connected a ULN2003A between their microcontroller and the motor, but the motor only vibrates when driven in a certain sequence. After trying a longer delay, the issue is resolved.
neergmas
I have a 5-wire unipolar J835L. I have not been able to find a data sheet on it, but I have found this diagram:

293yi5j.jpg

also, the motor has the following information printed on its label:

Uni-Polar, Bi-Filar
120 Ohms
7.5° per step or 48 full steps per revolution
JARL J835L PM 24P

I have connected a ULN2003A ("focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/uln2003a.pdf"[/URL]) between my uC and the motor like this:

[ATTACH=full]130959[/ATTACH]

where:
B = blue wire
P = purple wire
Y = yellow wire
O = orange wire
W = white wire

I have tried driving the circuit in these two orders:

Step POBY and PYBO
1 1000 1000
2 0100 0100
3 0010 0010
4 0001 0001
5 1000 1000
. . .
. . .

Where 1 has been verified to be 10v and 0 is 0v. I set each step and then wait for .1ms. The motor then just vibrates. Can anyone give me a pointer?

Thanks!
Sam

Attachments

• ru4n0w.jpg
    ru4n0w.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 298
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That delay of 0.1 mS seems too fast.

Just for a test, try 500 mS.

Could be a problem with timings or the run sequence. It could be going forward, then next step makes it go backwards.

vk6kro said:
That delay of 0.1 mS seems too fast.

Just for a test, try 500 mS.

That was it! Thank you :)

Related to Stepper motor just vibrates and gets hot

What could be causing my stepper motor to just vibrate and get hot?

There are a few potential causes for this issue. It could be due to incorrect wiring, a damaged or faulty motor, or a problem with the power supply. It's important to troubleshoot and isolate the source of the problem in order to resolve it.

How can I troubleshoot my stepper motor if it is vibrating and getting hot?

First, check the wiring to make sure it is connected correctly and securely. If the wiring is correct, try using a different power supply to see if that resolves the issue. If the motor is still just vibrating and getting hot, it may be damaged and need to be replaced.

Is it normal for a stepper motor to vibrate and get hot?

No, it is not normal for a stepper motor to just vibrate and get hot. This could indicate a problem with the motor or its components. It's important to address this issue to prevent further damage or potential safety hazards.

Can overheating cause a stepper motor to just vibrate?

Yes, if a stepper motor is getting too hot, it may start to vibrate instead of rotating smoothly. This could be due to a lack of proper cooling, incorrect voltage or current, or a damaged motor. It's important to address any overheating issues to prevent damage to the motor.

How can I prevent my stepper motor from just vibrating and getting hot?

To prevent your stepper motor from just vibrating and getting hot, make sure to use the correct voltage and current, provide proper cooling, and avoid overloading the motor. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the motor's performance can also help prevent any issues from arising.