Unipolar stepper, bipolar driver

• Thread starter Artlav
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of bipolar motor drivers to drive a unipolar stepper motor. The individual is seeking advice on how to identify the wires of the motor and how to properly drive it with the available motor drivers. They are also considering the use of an H-bridge and mentions some recommended options.
Artlav
Greetings.
I got an unidentified 6-wires stepper motor, which i suppose is unipolar.
But, the motor drivers i have is for bipolar ones.
As i understand, a bipolar driver can drive a unipolar motor, by plugging in the ends of the coils and leaving the middle wires hanging.
Is it that simple or are there some caveats?

Second problem, how can i identify which wires do what?
There are two trios of interconducting wires, in each one there is a pair that gives the most resistance on rotor when shorted, but when i plugged these two pairs, the motor does not work in a consistent way - either vibrate in place or starts moving back and forth. i tried swapping one pair and different step rates to no avail.
What can be wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor#Bipolar_motor
Yes, an H-bridge usually can be used to drive a unipolar motor by driving the two ends and leaving the center-tap wires hanging. Read about various types of steppers in above URL. Based on stepper motor voltage and current ratings, set up the two H-bridge drivers, with series resistors if necessary, and drive the stepper at 1 or 2 Hz with the two H-bridges in phase quadrature. My experience is that many H-bridge drivers are not full-rated below ~ 6 or 8 volts, which may be too high for some steppers.
See the schematic on page 2 of:
http://www.ozitronics.com/docs/k158.pdf
for two 5-50 volt H-bridge drivers using P-type and N-type mosfets.
Two popular integrated H-bridges are the L298N and the LMD18200.
Bob S

Last edited:

Greetings,

I can provide some insights and suggestions for your questions about the unipolar stepper motor and bipolar driver.

Firstly, you are correct that a bipolar driver can drive a unipolar motor by connecting the ends of the coils and leaving the middle wires unconnected. However, there are some caveats to keep in mind. The performance of the motor may not be optimal as the driver is designed for bipolar motors, which have four wires. Additionally, the current flow in the motor may not be as efficient, leading to potential overheating and damage to the motor. It is recommended to use a driver specifically designed for unipolar motors to ensure optimal performance and longevity of the motor.

Regarding identifying the wires, it is important to understand the wiring configuration of the motor. Typically, unipolar motors have five or six wires, with two wires for each coil and one or two center tap wires. The two pairs of wires with the highest resistance when shorted are likely the ends of the two coils. The remaining wires are most likely the center tap wires. To determine the function of each wire, you can use a multimeter to check the resistance between each wire and the motor casing. The wires with the highest resistance to the casing are likely the center tap wires.

If the motor is not working consistently, it could be due to incorrect wiring or a faulty driver. Double-check the wiring and make sure it matches the wiring configuration of the motor. If the issue persists, it may be worth trying a different driver or seeking assistance from a professional.

I hope this helps with your understanding of the unipolar stepper motor and bipolar driver. Good luck with your project!

Related to Unipolar stepper, bipolar driver

1. What is the difference between a unipolar and bipolar stepper motor?

A unipolar stepper motor has two coils per phase, with one end of each coil connected to a common ground. A bipolar stepper motor has a single coil per phase, with two separate wires for each end of the coil.

2. What is a stepper motor driver?

A stepper motor driver is an electronic circuit that controls the movement and speed of a stepper motor. It converts digital signals from a controller into electrical pulses that are sent to the motor to determine its direction and step size.

3. How does a unipolar stepper motor driver work?

A unipolar stepper motor driver energizes one coil at a time, using the common ground as a reference point. By switching which coil is energized and the direction of the current, the motor can move in precise steps.

4. What is a bipolar stepper motor driver?

A bipolar stepper motor driver energizes the two ends of a single coil in opposite directions, creating a magnetic field that causes the motor to move. The direction and magnitude of current determine the direction and step size of the motor.

5. Can a unipolar stepper motor be used with a bipolar stepper motor driver?

Yes, it is possible to use a unipolar stepper motor with a bipolar stepper motor driver by connecting the two ends of each coil together. However, the motor will not have as much torque as when using a unipolar stepper motor driver.