Step Function Laplace w/ piecewise

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the inverse Laplace transform of ##F(s)## is the function F(t) = \begin{cases} \frac{1}{2}(e^{-(t-\pi)} \cos(t - \pi) + t - \pi - 1) &, \pi \leq t < 2 \pi \\0 &, 2 \pi \leq t < \infty \end{cases}
Destroxia

Homework Statement

##y'' + 2y' + 2y = h(t); y(0)=0, y'(0)=1,
h(t) = \begin{cases} t &, \pi \leq t < 2\pi \\
0 &, 3\pi \leq t < \infty \\
\end{cases}##

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Take the Laplace of both sides:[/B]

##\mathcal{L}(y'' + 2y' + 2y) = \mathcal{L}(h(t)) ##

##s^2 F(s) - sf(0) - f'(0) + 2sF(s) - 2f(0) + 2F(s) = \mathcal{L}(h(t)) ##

##(s^2 + 2s +2)F(s) - 1 = \mathcal{L}(h(t)) = \int_{\pi}^{2\pi} te^{-st}##

##(s^2 + 2s +2)F(s) - 1 =\frac {\pi e^{-\pi s}} {s} + \frac {e^{-\pi s}} {s^2} - \frac {2\pi e^{-2\pi s}} {s} - \frac {e^{2\pi s}} {s^2} ##

Solve for F(s):

This is where I always screw up, If I even dare to add the 1 to the other side and divide by ##(s^2 + 2s + 2)## I get a ridiculously long expansion, that I don't even think is plausible for a practice problem, or any other problem.

I have no idea where to continue once I get to this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

##y'' + 2y' + 2y = h(t); y(0)=0, y'(0)=1,
h(t) = \begin{cases} t &, \pi \leq t < 2\pi \\
0 &, 3\pi \leq t < \infty \\
\end{cases}##
2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Take the Laplace of both sides:[/B]

##\mathcal{L}(y'' + 2y' + 2y) = \mathcal{L}(h(t)) ##

##s^2 F(s) - sf(0) - f'(0) + 2sF(s) - 2f(0) + 2F(s) = \mathcal{L}(h(t)) ##

##(s^2 + 2s +2)F(s) - 1 = \mathcal{L}(h(t)) = \int_{\pi}^{2\pi} te^{-st}##

##(s^2 + 2s +2)F(s) - 1 =\frac {\pi e^{-\pi s}} {s} + \frac {e^{-\pi s}} {s^2} - \frac {2\pi e^{-2\pi s}} {s} - \frac {e^{2\pi s}} {s^2} ##

Solve for F(s):

This is where I always screw up, If I even dare to add the 1 to the other side and divide by ##(s^2 + 2s + 2)## I get a ridiculously long expansion, that I don't even think is plausible for a practice problem, or any other problem.

I have no idea where to continue once I get to this point.

It is actually not so bad, once you simplify things a bit. Start with
[tex] F(s) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}}{D_2(s)} + \frac{\pi e^{-\pi s}}{D_1(s)} - \frac{e^{-2 \pi s}}{D_2(s)} - \frac{2 \pi e^{-2 \pi s}}{D_1(s)} + \frac{1}{D_0(s)},[/tex]
where ##D_2(s) = s^2 (s^2 + 2 s + 2), \: D_1(s) = s (s^2 + 2 s + 2), \; D_0(s) = s^2 + 2s + 2##.

It is convenient to first take the inverse Laplace transforms of the ##1/D_k(s)## functions:
[tex] \frac{1}{D_0(s)} \leftrightarrow e^{-t} \sin(t) \equiv e_0(t) \\
\frac{1}{D_1(s)} = \frac{1}{s} \frac{1}{D_0(s)} \leftrightarrow \int_0^t e_0(\tau) \, d \tau = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2} e^{-t} (\sin(t) + \cos(t)) \equiv e_1(t) \\
\frac{1}{D_2(s)} = \frac{1}{s} \frac{1}{D_1(s)} \leftrightarrow \int_0^t e_1 (\tau) \, d \tau = \frac{1}{2}(e^{-t} \cos(t) + t-1) \equiv e_2(t) [/tex]

Now we have
[tex] F(t) = [e_2(t-\pi)+\pi e_1(t-\pi)]u(t-\pi) -[e_2(t-2 \pi) + 2 \pi e_1(t - 2 \pi)]u(t - 2 \pi) + e_0(t) [/tex]

These are obtained using the following two standard properties, wherein below we have ##f(t) \leftrightarrow g(s)##:
[tex] \begin{array}{rl}1. & \int_0^t f(\tau) d \tau \leftrightarrow \frac{1}{s} g(s) \\
2. & f(t-a)u(t-a) \leftrightarrow e^{-as} g(s) \end{array} [/tex]

Related to Step Function Laplace w/ piecewise

1. What is a step function Laplace with piecewise?

A step function Laplace with piecewise is a mathematical function that is defined by a series of constant values over different intervals. It is often used to model discontinuous or piecewise functions in engineering and science applications.

2. How is a step function Laplace with piecewise represented in mathematical notation?

The step function Laplace with piecewise is typically represented using the Heaviside step function notation, which is denoted by H(t). This notation indicates that the function has a value of 1 for t≥0 and a value of 0 for t<0.

3. What is the Laplace transform of a step function Laplace with piecewise?

The Laplace transform of a step function Laplace with piecewise is given by the integral of the function multiplied by the exponential function e^(-st), where s is a complex variable. This transform is often used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

4. How is a step function Laplace with piecewise used in real-world applications?

A step function Laplace with piecewise is commonly used in engineering and science applications to model systems with discontinuities or changes in behavior. It can be used to analyze and design control systems, electrical circuits, and mechanical systems, among others.

5. What are the advantages of using a step function Laplace with piecewise?

The main advantage of using a step function Laplace with piecewise is that it allows for the modeling of complex systems with discontinuous behavior in a simple and efficient manner. It also enables the use of mathematical tools, such as the Laplace transform, to analyze and solve problems in these systems.