Stellar object ejects a jet Special Relativity

In summary, an expert has attempted to solve a homework problem involving a quasar, but has come up with an incorrect solution.
crimsonidol

Homework Statement

A stellar object at some known large distance ejects a ‘jet’ at speed v towards
an observer obliquely, making an angle θ with the line of sight. To the observer the
jet appears to be ejected sideways at speed V . Prove V = c sin θ (c/v − cos θ )−1 , and
show that this can exceed c, for example, when θ = 45◦ . [Indeed, such apparently
superluminal jets once had observers worried—briefly.]
Question from Rindler 2.21

Homework Equations

Nothing more is supplied in the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to use the velocity transformation in the frame of stellar object?(Say frame S). Since I know the speed of the object in observers frame(say S') which is V in the y direction and velocity u'(0,V,0) say in standart configuration.and I know the vcosθ is the speed in x direction vsinθ is the speed in y direction and velocity u(vcosθ,vsinθ,0) in the frame S. However I do not know the observer's relative speed in stellar object's frame.
I tried to find by applying velocity transformation in x direction first to find relative speed of observer and then applied in y direction but no use. I have found out to satisfy the given equation speed of the observer should be c relative to the stellar object. What do I miss? I think I'm missing something silly but I cannot find out. I have been thinking for days. Please give me clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
I need a spark :S
If anything is unclear I may rewrite it.

it is not a homework but i need to solve this. it is killing me slowly and I'm in a closed loop coming to the same point everytime. please help me about it.

Sorry I'm not comfortable with the codes so I wrote a paper and uploaded it. Hope some1 can tell me where I have gone wrong.
http://imgur.com/ZN50J

You could read a paper about the quasar 3C 273 for hints.

ok i thing I figured it out.
Thanks e.bar.goum I look for quasar and found this https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...05218/49609/excerpt/9780521849609_excerpt.pdf

too many assumptions in it by the way. you should take the speed of the stellar object's velocity too small relative to jet. Lorent'z transformation again does not much help here. You need to send two photons in consecutive times Δt seperated. And then calculate the time observer will measure and divide that time by vsinθ/Δt.Then you will get it.

Related to Stellar object ejects a jet Special Relativity

1. What is a stellar object ejecting a jet in relation to Special Relativity?

A stellar object ejecting a jet refers to a phenomenon where a high-speed stream of particles or energy is expelled from a star or other celestial body. Special Relativity is a theory in physics that explains the behavior of objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.

2. How does Special Relativity explain the ejection of jets from stellar objects?

According to Special Relativity, objects moving at high speeds experience time dilation and length contraction. This means that time slows down and objects appear shorter when observed by an outside observer. In the case of stellar jets, the high-speed particles are able to escape the gravitational pull of the star due to this time dilation and length contraction.

3. Can Special Relativity predict the direction and speed of a stellar jet?

Yes, Special Relativity can predict the direction and speed of a stellar jet based on the properties of the star and the particles being ejected. By using equations such as the Lorentz transformation, scientists can calculate the velocity and trajectory of the jet.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the ejection of a stellar jet besides Special Relativity?

Yes, there are other factors that can also play a role in the ejection of a stellar jet. These can include the magnetic field of the star, the presence of other celestial bodies, and the properties of the particles being ejected.

5. What are the potential implications of studying stellar jets in relation to Special Relativity?

Studying stellar jets can provide valuable insights into the behavior of matter and energy at high velocities and in strong gravitational fields. This can help us better understand the fundamental principles of Special Relativity and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.