Steam Turbine Design Aid: Understanding Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discussed the concepts of thermodynamics, specifically the relationship between pressure, temperature, and enthalpy in steam turbines. It was mentioned that in an impulse stage, the pressure drops and the kinetic energy of the steam increases, resulting in a decrease in specific volume. However, the temperature does not necessarily increase and the enthalpy remains constant. Throttling was also brought up, with the understanding that there is no change in internal energy, and the enthalpy remains constant. The question of why the enthalpy at the exhaust must be greater than without throttling was raised, but it was clarified that a turbine operating isothermally and isenthalpically would not experience this change in enthalpy.
leon25034796
Can somebody aid my understanding:
I am re-studying thermodynamics at the moment 6 years on from when I last studied it and could do with some clarification:
If at the inlet to a steam turbine the pressure is at say 150bar and 550 degrees then there will be a respective enthalpy which is a function of the following h=u+pv. Now if the steam progresses through the stationary nozzle of an impulse stage the pressure drops and the kinetic energy of the steam (velocity) increases. But pv remains constant i.e. the pressure drops and the specific volme increases. I believe the temperature would increase with an increase in kinetic energy resulting in an increase in internal energy and thus enthalpy, but I'm guessing that the temperature would drop by a greater amount associated with the pressure drop resulting in an overall decrease in enthalpy?
When progressing through the moving blades the pressure remains constant as does specific volume but the internal energy decreases as a result of the kinetic energy decreasing and temperature decreasing resulting in a decrease in enthalpy?

Something else I'm having difficulty with is throttling:
If the steam is throttled by a governor the pressure drops, specific volume increases but there is no change in internal energy as no heat energy is added and no work is done i.e. Q+W=0 so the enthalpy remains constant. What I don't understand is if the enthalpy is constant at the inlet then at the exhaust the enthalpy must be greater than if there was no throttling reducing the amount of work done by the turbine. Which I'm guessing means the temperature must be higher, but why?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
EDIT: It seems I am talking crap, i'll have to read up on it some more.I don't like this thread, it beings back nightmarish memories of endless steam tables. :cry:

Last edited:
leon25034796 said:
Now if the steam progresses through the stationary nozzle of an impulse stage the pressure drops and the kinetic energy of the steam (velocity) increases. But pv remains constant i.e. the pressure drops and the specific volme increases.

No, the product of pressure and volume will not remain constant. Assuming inviscid flow, no system work, and a horizontal nozzle the product of pressure and specific volume must decrease, with an increase of kinetic energy.

I believe the temperature would increase with an increase in kinetic energy resulting in an increase in internal energy and thus enthalpy, but I'm guessing that the temperature would drop by a greater amount associated with the pressure drop resulting in an overall decrease in enthalpy?

If your still talking about an ideal nozzle here, no this would not happen as there would be no change in enthalpy across the nozzle.

When progressing through the moving blades the pressure remains constant as does specific volume but the internal energy decreases as a result of the kinetic energy decreasing and temperature decreasing resulting in a decrease in enthalpy?

Impulse turbines work by changing the momentum of a fluid. A change in kinetic energy does not constitute a change in internal energy, they are two separate mechanisms. The only way the internal energy of the fluid will change is if work is performed on the fluid or there is heat transfer.

If the steam is throttled by a governor the pressure drops, specific volume increases but there is no change in internal energy as no heat energy is added and no work is done i.e. Q+W=0 so the enthalpy remains constant. What I don't understand is if the enthalpy is constant at the inlet then at the exhaust the enthalpy must be greater than if there was no throttling reducing the amount of work done by the turbine. Which I'm guessing means the temperature must be higher, but why?

Are you referring to the inlet and outlet of the turbine? If you have an increase of enthalpy at the exit of a turbine, then you in fact do not have a turbine but a compressor. It is very possible to have a turbine that operates isothermally and isenthalpically. This is in fact how many impulse turbines operate. For example, the kind of turbine you would find at hoover dam.

On a side note, this is my 1,000th post. w00t!

Related to Steam Turbine Design Aid: Understanding Thermodynamics

1. What is the purpose of "Steam Turbine Design Aid: Understanding Thermodynamics"?

The purpose of "Steam Turbine Design Aid: Understanding Thermodynamics" is to provide a comprehensive guide for engineers and scientists to understand the principles of thermodynamics as they apply to steam turbines. It also serves as a design aid for creating efficient and effective steam turbines.

2. Who can benefit from using "Steam Turbine Design Aid: Understanding Thermodynamics"?

Engineers, scientists, and students in the fields of mechanical engineering, thermodynamics, and energy systems can benefit from using "Steam Turbine Design Aid: Understanding Thermodynamics". It can also be useful for professionals in the power generation industry who are involved in steam turbine design and operation.

3. What topics are covered in "Steam Turbine Design Aid: Understanding Thermodynamics"?

The guide covers topics such as the fundamentals of thermodynamics, properties of steam, steam turbine cycles, design considerations, and performance analysis. It also includes case studies and practical examples to illustrate the concepts.

4. How can "Steam Turbine Design Aid: Understanding Thermodynamics" help in designing efficient steam turbines?

The guide provides a thorough understanding of the thermodynamic principles involved in steam turbine design, which can help engineers make informed decisions and optimize the design for efficiency. It also includes design considerations and performance analysis techniques to further improve the design.

5. Is "Steam Turbine Design Aid: Understanding Thermodynamics" suitable for beginners?

While some prior knowledge of thermodynamics and steam turbines is beneficial, the guide is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for beginners. It covers the fundamentals and builds upon them, making it a useful resource for anyone looking to learn about steam turbine design.