Steady wave eq and fourier transform

In summary, the problem involves finding the inverse of the Fourier transform of a function in the variable y. The solution involves using a Fourier cosine/sine transform and finding the correct chart.
member 428835

Homework Statement

$$u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 0 : x < 0, -\infty < y < \infty$$

Homework Equations

We can use Fourier Transform, which is defined over some function ##f(x)## as ##F(f(x)) = 1/ 2\pi \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \exp (i \omega x) dx##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Fourier transform in the variable ##y## I find that $$F(u) = F(g(y)) \exp (\omega x)$$ From here I would use convolution but I don't know the inverse of ## \exp (\omega x) ##. Any help here (or if I should have used a Fourier cosine/sine transform instead?

It's ok, I think I solved this. Just had to find the correct chart.

Related to Steady wave eq and fourier transform

1. What is the steady wave equation?

The steady wave equation is a mathematical representation of a wave that is not changing over time. This equation is used to describe a variety of physical phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves.

2. What is the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function or signal into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and other areas of science and engineering.

3. How are the steady wave equation and Fourier transform related?

The steady wave equation and Fourier transform are closely related because the Fourier transform can be used to solve the steady wave equation. By decomposing a wave into its individual frequency components, the Fourier transform allows us to better understand and analyze steady waves.

4. What are some applications of the steady wave equation and Fourier transform?

The steady wave equation and Fourier transform have many applications in various fields. They are used in signal processing for noise reduction and filtering, in telecommunications for signal transmission, in physics for studying electromagnetic and acoustic waves, and in mathematics for solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions of the steady wave equation and Fourier transform?

Like any mathematical model, the steady wave equation and Fourier transform have limitations and make certain assumptions. For example, the steady wave equation assumes that the wave is unchanging over time, and the Fourier transform assumes that the wave is periodic. In some cases, these assumptions may not accurately represent real-world phenomena.