Steady state temperature of wafers?

In summary: Transient_heat_transferThe conversation discusses the problem of finding the steady state wafer temperature and time constant for heating a 50mm wafer implanted with Boron at 100keV and 1mA using only conductive cooling. The thermal resistance is given as 10K/W and the room temperature is 25oC. The equation used is Net Q = CdT/dt = Qin - ( T - To) / thermal resistance. The attempt at a solution involves determining Qin by using 1ev = 1.602 X 10^-19 J and then finding the number of Boron atoms impinging on the wafer per second, as well as the energy they collectively carry. The time constant is also mentioned as
Obelisk

Homework Statement

A 50mm wafer, 2mm thick is implanted with Boron at 100keV and 1mA. Considering only conductive cooling, given that thermal resistance is 10K/W, to room temperature of 25oC, determine the steady state wafer temperature and also the time constant for heating

Homework Equations

I know that Net Q = CdT/dt = Qin - ( T - To) / thermal resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can determine Qin by using 1ev = 1.602 X 10^-19 J. But I am stuck on how to proceed. Could someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Obelisk said:

Homework Statement

A 50mm wafer, 2mm thick is implanted with Boron at 100keV and 1mA. Considering only conductive cooling, given that thermal resistance is 10K/W, to room temperature of 25oC, determine the steady state wafer temperature and also the time constant for heating

Homework Equations

I know that Net Q = CdT/dt = Qin - ( T - To) / thermal resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can determine Qin by using 1ev = 1.602 X 10^-19 J. But I am stuck on how to proceed. Could someone please help?

Okay, how many Boron atoms are impinging on the wafer every second? How much energy do they (collectively) carry?

The boron atoms would collectively carry 100 X 1.602 X 10 ^ -19 J since 1 keV carries 1.602 X 10 ^ -19 J

How many atoms impinging per second is not given, is this something I can calculate from the information that has been provided in the question? If yes, what equation is required?

Thanks.

Obelisk said:
The boron atoms would collectively carry 100 X 1.602 X 10 ^ -19 J since 1 keV carries 1.602 X 10 ^ -19 J

How many atoms impinging per second is not given, is this something I can calculate from the information that has been provided in the question? If yes, what equation is required?

Thanks.

No, each boron atom carries 100 x 1.602E-19 J. As to the number, here's a hint: why do they tell you the implant current?

I think I am stalled, really stalled on this one! The only other piece of information that describes / models this physical situation would be:

T = To + (Tf - To) e ^(-t/tau).

I know that I am supposed to obtain Tf as the steady state wafer temperature and tau as the time heating constant. I am blocked, please help!

Related to Steady state temperature of wafers?

1. What is the Steady State Temperature of wafers?

The Steady State Temperature of wafers refers to the temperature at which the wafer reaches a stable and constant temperature, after being exposed to a continuous heat source. This temperature is important in the semiconductor industry as it affects the performance and reliability of electronic devices that are made from these wafers.

2. How is the Steady State Temperature of wafers measured?

The Steady State Temperature of wafers can be measured using a variety of methods such as infrared thermography, thermocouples, and thermal imaging. These methods involve placing temperature sensors on the surface of the wafer and monitoring the temperature until it reaches a steady state.

3. What factors affect the Steady State Temperature of wafers?

The Steady State Temperature of wafers can be influenced by various factors such as the thermal properties of the wafer material, the heat transfer coefficient of the surrounding environment, and the power of the heat source. Other factors include the size and shape of the wafer, as well as the ambient temperature and humidity.

4. Why is it important to know the Steady State Temperature of wafers?

Knowing the Steady State Temperature of wafers is crucial for ensuring the reliability and performance of electronic devices. If the temperature of the wafer is not properly controlled, it can lead to thermal stress, which can cause defects and failures in the electronic components. Additionally, different processes require specific temperature ranges, so understanding the Steady State Temperature is essential for optimizing the manufacturing process.

5. How is the Steady State Temperature of wafers used in the semiconductor industry?

The Steady State Temperature of wafers is used in the semiconductor industry for process control and optimization. It is also used for quality assurance and to ensure the reliability of electronic devices. Additionally, knowledge of the Steady State Temperature is crucial in the design and development of new semiconductor materials and devices.