Steady Solution of ODE: Exploring Time Independence with Small Perturbations

In summary: Therefore, by definition, the first order corrections y^{(1)} and z^{(1)} are also time independent. Hence, in summary, the given set of ODEs describes a system with a steady state solution, where the first order corrections are also time independent. The constants \delta, \Delta, and \omega do not affect the time independence of the solution.
KFC
I have a set of ODE of the following form

[tex]
\begin{cases}
\displaystype{\frac{dx(t)}{dt}} = F(x, y, z; \delta e^{i\omega t}, \Delta e^{-i\omega t})\\[4mm]
\displaystype{\frac{dy(t)}{dt}} = G(x, y, z; \delta e^{i\omega t}, \Delta e^{-i\omega t})\\[4mm]
\displaystype{\frac{dz(t)}{dt}} = H(z, y, z; \delta e^{i\omega t}, \Delta e^{-i\omega t})
\end{cases}
[/tex]

where [tex]\delta, \Delta, \omega[/tex] are constants.

If only concern about the steady solution, can I conclue that the solution must be time-independent?

The equations is quite complicate so one must consider the small pertubration ([tex]\delta, \Delta[/tex] are very small number. So when [tex]\delta \to 0[/tex] and [tex]\Delta \to 0[/tex], the steady solutions are [tex]x^{(0)}, y^{(0)}, z^{(0)}[/tex]. Take x as example, the first order corrections of the steady solution is of the form

[tex]x = x^{(0)} + y^{(1)} \delta e^{i\omega t} + z^{(1)} \Delta e^{-i\omega t}[/tex]

I wonder why the above steady solution is time dependent? In this sense, can I conclude that [tex]y^{(1)}, z^{(1)}[/tex] are time independent?

Physics news on Phys.org
A "steady state solution" is by definition a solution constant in time. Yes, it is independent of time.

Again, the definition of "steady state solution" is that it is time independent!

Related to Steady Solution of ODE: Exploring Time Independence with Small Perturbations

1. What is a steady solution of ODE?

A steady solution of ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a solution that does not change over time. In other words, the dependent variables in the equation do not vary with respect to the independent variable.

2. How is a steady solution different from a transient solution?

A transient solution is a solution that changes over time, while a steady solution remains constant. Transient solutions are often seen in systems that are undergoing changes or experiencing disturbances, while steady solutions are typically seen in stable systems.

3. What are the conditions for a steady solution to exist?

In order for a steady solution to exist, the differential equation must be time-invariant, meaning that it does not change with time. Additionally, the solution must be bounded, meaning that it does not grow or decrease infinitely.

4. How can one verify if a solution to an ODE is steady?

To verify if a solution is steady, one can substitute the solution into the original differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If the solution remains constant and satisfies the equation, then it is a steady solution.

5. Are steady solutions always desirable?

Not necessarily. In some cases, a steady solution may indicate that the system is not responding to changes or disturbances, which may be undesirable. However, in many cases, steady solutions are desired as they represent a stable and predictable state for the system.