Steady Flow Energy Equation Problem.

In summary, Daniel is trying to solve a problem involving evaluating a jet engine using the SFEE equation. He has data available to him but is struggling to work out how to calculate the enthalpy using the equation. He hopes someone on the forum can help.
djw42
Ladies and gentlemen.

I have been trying for literally days on this problem and its completley done me in.

The problem is as follows.

I have to evaluate a jet engine using the SFEE equation.

So far I have concluded that this equation will be the best to use...

Qr – Wrx = ṁ Δ [ h + ½ Ṽ2].

Although my problem is I only have the following data available to me...

"h0e/he ratio of total-to-static enthalpy at exit from the engine
h1 J/kg enthalpy at entry to the engine
Ṽ1 m/s airspeed at entry to the engine
ṁ engine air mass flow rate, kg/s
κ fraction of fuel energy input lost to the atmosphere
Pe static pressure the engine exit, kPa
You should assume Cp/R for the exhaust gases to be 4.33, and take the calorific value of the fuel to be 43 MJ/kg."

and I cannot work out for the life of me how to do it.

I really hope someone on here can help.

Thanks..

Daniel.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this for a ramjet, turbojet, or turbofan? Regardless an approach to this is to assume an ideal jet (ram, turbo, or turbofan) and then apply Brayton's Cycle for the various stages in the engine for Brayton's cycle.

The knowns are giving you pieces of information for each stage of the cycle. Temperature, pressure, and mach number relationships exist for each stage that estimate the performance of the jet. It's a matter of figuring out out how the enthalpy and other known's relate to those temperature, pressure, and velocity relationships for the various stages of the cycle. Work the problem a stage at a time.

Here are two resources from MIT you might consider studying to help you:
http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/SPRING/propulsion/notes/node18.html
http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/FALL/thermodynamics/notes/node85.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be great although I can't assume its ideal as a later question is to compare this engine to an ideal engine.

As for the engine type I have no idea as the question does not state.

As for braytons cycle, i have never heard of it which means it would unlikley be about that although I will look into it.

Thanks for the help, out of the several forums iv posted this question on this is the only one where someone hasnt given me an arrogant, "get off my forum" reply.

Related to Steady Flow Energy Equation Problem.

1. What is the Steady Flow Energy Equation?

The Steady Flow Energy Equation (SFEE) is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the conservation of energy in a steady flow or fluid system. It is often used to analyze and solve problems in fluid mechanics and heat transfer.

2. How is the SFEE derived?

The SFEE is derived from the first and second laws of thermodynamics, specifically the conservation of mass and energy. It takes into account the changes in kinetic energy, potential energy, and internal energy of a fluid as it flows through a system.

3. What are the assumptions made in using the SFEE?

The SFEE assumes that the flow is steady (no changes in time), one-dimensional (flowing in a single direction), and that there is no heat transfer or work done on the system. It also assumes that the fluid is incompressible and that there is no frictional or other energy losses in the system.

4. How is the SFEE used in problem solving?

The SFEE is often used to analyze and solve problems in fluid mechanics and heat transfer, such as calculating the power output of a turbine or the heat transfer in a heat exchanger. It involves setting up and solving equations based on the conservation of energy to determine unknown variables.

5. What are some common applications of the SFEE?

The SFEE has many practical applications, including in the design and analysis of pumps, compressors, turbines, and other fluid systems. It is also used in engineering and environmental studies to analyze and optimize energy usage and efficiency in various processes and systems.