Statistics of Radioactive Decay

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment using a Geiger-Muller counter to measure natural radioactivity. The individual recorded 45 values and created a table and scatter graph in Excel. They are now attempting to create a best fit curve for the data using the NORMDIST function in Excel.
theuniverse

Homework Statement

I hope that I'm posting it in the right section...
I did an experiment in class using a Geiger-Muller counter with the objective to find the amount of counts (how many photons hit the detector) due to natural radioactivity around my work station. I recorded 45 values of counts from the GM counter, and then created a table which shows how frequently each count appeared in the 45 measurements.

I put the values in a spreadsheet in excel and plotted a scatter graph of my values, and as expected I got a curve that resembles a Gaussian Curve, but now my problem is that I don't know how to make a best fit curve to these points, and whenver I try to use the functions of excel I get some curve of average that changes the shape of the curve completely.

How can I create a best fit curve to this data?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Excel file attached.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• best fit curve.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 150
Physics news on Phys.org
Try the NORMDIST function is Excel.

Thanks! seems to work now.

Related to Statistics of Radioactive Decay

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy and transforms into a more stable configuration, often releasing radiation in the form of particles or waves.

2. How is radioactive decay measured?

Radioactive decay is typically measured using the half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive material to decay. This measurement is used to calculate the rate of decay and determine the stability of the material.

3. What factors affect the rate of radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay can be affected by several factors, including the type of radioactive material, the amount of material present, and the environmental conditions such as temperature and pressure.

4. How is radioactive decay used in scientific research?

Radioactive decay is used in a variety of scientific research, including dating fossils and artifacts, studying the age of rocks and geological formations, and in medical applications such as diagnosing and treating diseases.

5. What are the potential hazards of radioactive decay?

The main hazard of radioactive decay is exposure to radiation, which can damage living cells and cause health problems. It is important to handle radioactive materials carefully and with proper precautions to minimize the risk of exposure.