Experiment to simulate the radioactive decay of U-235

In summary, the conversation was discussing a high-school homework assignment involving an experiment similar to radioactive decay. The experiment involved dropping pins into a box, removing the upside down ones to represent decay, and repeating the process until there were no pins left. The conversation also touched on the accuracy of the experiment, potential improvements, and the importance of valid and reliable results. The summary concludes with the suggestion to repeat the experiment and graph the average results.
victorhugo
Basic high-school homework. I mostly just want feedback on my answers and advice :)

The experiment was to:
Drop pins into a box. Pick out the one's upside down and count them and these are the ones that underwent decay.
Get the ones that weren't upside down and throw them into the box again, then repeat the process until there are not pins left.

This seems to be very similar how half life works, but I just need help in answering these questions:

1) 3 aspects that make this experiment accurate in showing the radioactive decay of U-235

-The process of removing the ones that were upside down is identical to what happens when an U-235 atom decays and stops
-Uses "chance/probability" which would be very close to 50/50, just like in radioactive decay
-Doing the experiment until there is no pins left is the same as when a sample of U undegoes complete decay.2) Identify two improvements to this process

Repeat it and add more pins to start with so that an average can be obtained.3) Draw a table so that the results are valid and reliable.
>Valid and Reliable are important terms to this, but I'm sure not sure how either than just repeating...4) Graph your average results
>Does this mean I should repeat the experiment, drawing various tables and average them out?

Physics news on Phys.org
victorhugo said:
-Uses "chance/probability" which would be very close to 50/50, just like in radioactive decay
There is nothing special about 50% chance in radioactive decay, this is different from your experiment.
victorhugo said:
3) Draw a table so that the results are valid and reliable.
>Valid and Reliable are important terms to this, but I'm sure not sure how either than just repeating...
I guess just draw a table and fill in results.
victorhugo said:
4) Graph your average results
>Does this mean I should repeat the experiment, drawing various tables and average them out?
Probably.

Related to Experiment to simulate the radioactive decay of U-235

1. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a sample of U-235, a Geiger counter, a timer, and a container to hold the sample.

2. How does the experiment simulate radioactive decay?

The experiment simulates radioactive decay by using a sample of U-235, which is a radioactive isotope. The sample will emit radiation, which can be detected by the Geiger counter. As time passes, the sample will decay and emit less radiation, mimicking the natural process of radioactive decay.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when conducting this experiment?

It is important to handle the sample of U-235 with proper safety precautions, as it is a radioactive material. This includes wearing protective equipment, such as gloves and a lab coat, and storing the sample in a sealed container when not in use.

4. How can the rate of decay be measured in this experiment?

The rate of decay can be measured by using the Geiger counter to detect the amount of radiation emitted by the sample at different time intervals. By recording the number of counts per minute, the rate of decay can be calculated and compared to the known half-life of U-235.

5. What can this experiment teach us about radioactive decay?

This experiment can teach us about the concept of half-life and how it relates to the process of radioactive decay. It also allows us to observe and measure the rate of decay, which can help us understand the stability of different radioactive isotopes and their potential applications in various fields.