Statistical physics: Landau theory liquid crystal (2D)

In summary, the free energy changes from negative to positive at a temperature T_critical, and the phase transition occurs when s^2 reaches -c/2e.
rolotomassi

Homework Statement

A simple model for liquid crystals confined to 2 dimensions is o assume each molecule can only align in one of 2 perpendicular directions. To construct a landau model its convenient to define order parameter, s :

s = 2 ( Np - 0.5Nt ) / Nt
Np - number molecules aligned parallel to some director
Nt - Np - number of molecules aligned perpendicular to some director
Nt - total number of molecules

The free energy is F = a + bs + cs^2 + ds^3 + es^4 , determine appropriate values of expressions for a, b, c, d and e for liquid crystal confined to 2 dimensions if a transition is observed from randomly aligned to oriented at some temperature T_critical.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I work out the order parameter for 3 configurations : s=1 (all parallel wrt director), s= -1 (all perpendicular wrt director) and s=0 (randomly aligned)

The free energy should be the same regardless of whether they are aligned parallel or perpendicular w.r.t some arbitrary direction so there should be symmetry for s = +/- 1. This means the coefficients of odd powers of 's' are zero.
F(s) is a quartic so will have 2 stable equilibria and 1 unstable equilibrium. I differentiate and get
s = 0 or s^2 = -c/2e

From what I've seen of other similar problems I am thinking that the phase transition occurs when we go to a stable equilibrium point i.e - s^2 ---> + s^2 when 'c' changes sign. This happens at T_critical so let c(T) = c(T-Tc).
Not even sure if this is right or where I go from here[/B]

Reading it back now it is abit wordy isn't it.
Yes I have solved it its okay. Was half way there.

Hi, I'm stuck trying to solve a very similar question to this. Any chance you remember your solution?

Related to Statistical physics: Landau theory liquid crystal (2D)

1. What is statistical physics?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods and concepts to study the behavior of systems with a large number of particles. It aims to understand the macroscopic properties of a system by analyzing the microscopic behavior of its individual particles.

2. What is Landau theory?

Landau theory, also known as the Landau-Ginzburg theory, is a mathematical framework used to describe phase transitions in physical systems. It is based on the concept of an order parameter, which is a quantity that characterizes the state of a system and changes abruptly at the critical point of a phase transition.

3. What is liquid crystal?

Liquid crystal is a state of matter that exhibits properties of both liquids and solids. It has a long-range order like a solid, but its molecules are able to move and flow like a liquid. Liquid crystals are commonly found in liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and have applications in technology and materials science.

4. How is Landau theory applied to 2D liquid crystals?

In 2D liquid crystals, the molecules are confined to a two-dimensional plane. Landau theory can be used to describe the behavior of these systems by considering the order parameter and its interactions with the surrounding environment. This allows for the prediction of the different phases and phase transitions that can occur in 2D liquid crystals.

5. What are some real-world applications of statistical physics and Landau theory in 2D liquid crystals?

Statistical physics and Landau theory have numerous applications in 2D liquid crystals, including the development of new materials for LCD screens, the study of biological membranes, and the understanding of self-organizing systems. They also have applications in fields such as nanotechnology and soft matter physics.