Statics lever and valve question

In summary, the lever is resting on a valve with a 4 lb force at one end, making a 20 deg angle with the horizontal. The valve is located 3 in from the end of the lever, which has a total length of 9.5 in. To find the moment about point B, where the lever contacts the valve, the force must be resolved into components along and perpendicular to the lever. Using the angle of 28 deg, the perpendicular component of the force is found to be -1.9 lbs. Multiplying this by the distance from B to the force (6.5 in) gives a torque of 12.35 lb*in in the appropriate direction. This is also the same result obtained
formulajoe
a lever is resting on a valve. the valve is located 3 in from the end of the lever. the total length of the lever is 9.5 in. a 4 lb force is present at the opposite end of the lever. the force makes a 28 deg angle with the lever. the lever makes a 20 deg angle with the horizontal. I am supposed to find the moment about B, which is the spot where the lever comes in contact with the valve.
the force in the vertical direction is -1.9 and the force in the horizontal direction is -3.5.
i got these by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the cos and sin of the angle. i ended up with an answer of 12.35 lb * in.
is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by formulajoe
the force in the vertical direction is -1.9 and the force in the horizontal direction is -3.5.
i got these by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the cos and sin of the angle. i ended up with an answer of 12.35 lb * in.
is that correct?
I assume you are trying to find the torque exerted by the 4 lb force about point B. A diagram would be helpful.

I presume when you say "vertical" and "horizontal" you really mean perpendicular and parallel to the lever, right? You only need the perpendicular component of the force. If that's what you did, then fine! (Is the torque clockwise or counter-clockwise?)

Another way to look at it:

To find the torque exerted by the 4 lb force about point B you can use T=rFsinθ. r is the distance from B to the point of application of the force (r = 6.5"); F is the force (F = 4 lbs), and θ is the angle between them (θ = 28 or 152). So, I get T = 12.2 lb*in. (I can't specify the direction of the torque, since I don't know how you defined your angle.)

heres a pic. the lever itself makes a 20 deg angle with the horizontal. alpha equals 28 deh. was my answer of 12.35 correct?

Attachments

• staticspc2.bmp
    18.3 KB · Views: 509
heres a pic. the lever itself makes a 20 deg angle with the horizontal. alpha equals 28 deh. was my answer of 12.35 correct?
Reread my answer. Did you make use of the 20 deg angle in your calculations?

heres the question from the text:
a foot valve for a pneumatic system is hinged at B. knowing that alhpa = 28*. determine the momeny of the 4-lb force about point B by resolving the force into components along ABC and in a direction perpendicular to ABC.

so just doing (4lb)(sin 28) X (6.5 in) is the correct answer?

so just doing (4lb)(sin 28) X (6.5 in) is the correct answer?
Yes. Note that (4lbs)x(sin 28) = 1.88 lbs, the component of the force perpendicular to ABC. This is the same thing you found, although you called it (incorrectly) the vertical component. Make sense?

Related to Statics lever and valve question

1. What is a statics lever?

A statics lever is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or beam that is supported at a fixed point called the fulcrum. It is used to lift or move heavy objects by applying a small force over a greater distance.

2. How does a statics lever work?

A statics lever works by balancing the force and distance on both sides of the fulcrum. The longer side of the lever, also known as the effort arm, requires less force to move the object on the shorter side, known as the load arm. This allows for a mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

3. What is the difference between a first-class and second-class lever?

A first-class lever has the fulcrum located between the effort and load, while a second-class lever has the load located between the fulcrum and effort. In other words, the positions of the load and effort are reversed in these two types of levers. A first-class lever is used for precision and a second-class lever is used for strength.

4. What is a valve in statics?

In statics, a valve is a device that controls the flow of a fluid or gas by opening, closing, or partially obstructing different passages. Valves are used in many different applications, such as plumbing, heating and cooling systems, and industrial processes.

5. How does a valve work in a statics system?

A valve works by using a movable element, such as a disc or gate, to control the flow of fluid or gas. When the valve is closed, the movable element blocks the flow, and when it is open, the fluid or gas can pass through the valve. The position of the movable element is controlled by a handle, lever, or actuator, which can be manually operated or automated.