Confusion about how to identify lever arm

In summary, the homework statement says that a rotational axis is located as shown in the drawing. Two forces, F1 and F2, are applied to diagonally opposite corners, and act along the sides of the square, first as shown in part a and then as shown in part b of the drawing. The net torque produced by the forces is zero. The square is one meter on a side, and the magnitude of F2 is three times that of F1.
Chozen Juan

Homework Statement

A rotational axis is directed perpendicular to the plane of a square and is located as shown in the drawing. Two forces, F1 and F2, are applied to diagonally opposite corners, and act along the sides of the square, first as shown in part a and then as shown in part b of the drawing. In each case the net torque produced by the forces is zero. The square is one meter on a side, and the magnitude of F2 is three times that of F1. Find the distances a and b that locate the axis.

Homework Equations

Torque[/B] = r x F
|Torque| = |r| |F| sin(angle)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to attempt this by setting up equations for the net torque of both cases. I realized that the net torque would have to be zero and I knew the forces, but I incorrectly thought that the distance from the force to the axis (or as the textbook likes to call it, the lever arm) is some hypotenuse of a triangle whose legs are somewhere along the sides of the square. As I tried to solve the problem and find the angle between the displacement and the force, I realized that I had too many unknown variables. I then looked at my solution guide, and it stated that the "lever arm"s are actually a and b themselves, and the angles between the forces and the lever arms are both just 90 degrees. With this information, I attempted the problem once again and solved it with ease:(F2) =(3F1)
(F1)(b)-(F2)(a) = 0 -----> (F1)(b) = (F2)(a) ------> (F1)(b) = (3F1)(a) ------> b = 3a

(F1)(1-a) -(F2)(b) = 0 -----> (F1)(1-a) = (F2)(b) -----> (F1)(1-a) = (3F1)(b) -----> 1-a = 3b

System of equations:
1-a = 3b
b = 3a

1-a = 3(3a) -----> 1-a = 9a -----> 10a = 1 -----> a = 0.1m

b = 3(0.1) -----> b = 0.3mStill, I am really really confused about why a and b are the distances between the force and the axis. The forces act at the corners, so shouldn't the distances between the force and the axis be the distance of a line from the corner to the axis?

Attachments

• IMG_9948.jpg
    IMG_9948.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 886
Physics news on Phys.org
Forces can be moved along their working lines without changing the physical situation: e.g. in picture (a), F2 is applied to the upper right, but it could be applied to the lower right just as well: that would give exactly the same situation.

Moving a force vector in a direction perpendicular to its working line is also possible, but then you have to add a torque to compensate: (I can't add a drawing right now, so it'll be in words): For example moving F2 on the upper right to the upper left can be done as follows: add a downward force with magnitude |F2| to the upper left plus an upward force with magnitude |F2| to the upper left. The downward one is F2 moved sideways and the upward one plus the original F2 are a torque and nothing else. Torque magnitude is 2|F2| x 1 m. [edit] sorry, |F2| x 1 m

Does this make sense ?

--

Last edited:
Chozen Juan said:
Still, I am really really confused about why a and b are the distances between the force and the axis. The forces act at the corners, so shouldn't the distances between the force and the axis be the distance of a line from the corner to the axis?

It helps to remember that the moment of a force is defined as the product of the magnitude of the force and the perpendicular distance between the line of action of the force and the axis of rotation:

moments.gif

Don't get distracted by the details of the object to which the force or forces are applied.

Likes BvU
BvU said:
Forces can be moved along their working lines without changing the physical situation
--
BvU said:
Moving a force vector in a direction perpendicular to its working line is also possible
--
I think I'm beginning to understand the part about how forces can be moved along their working lines, but I think I'd be able to understand the second situation with the force perpendicular to the working line better if I saw a diagram. I tried drawing what you said, but I just got two torques on the upper left corner with magnitude (F2)(1-a) that cancel each other.

upload_2015-12-28_23-25-17.png

Related to Confusion about how to identify lever arm

1. What is a lever arm?

A lever arm is a rigid bar that rotates around a fixed point, known as the fulcrum, and is used to exert a force at a different point along the bar. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is commonly used in simple machines such as seesaws and scissors.

2. How do you identify the lever arm in a system?

The lever arm in a system can be identified by finding the distance between the fulcrum and the point where the force is being applied. This distance is known as the lever arm or moment arm and is represented by the symbol "r" in equations.

3. What are the factors that affect the lever arm?

The lever arm is affected by two main factors: the distance between the fulcrum and the point of application of the force, and the angle at which the force is applied. The longer the lever arm, the greater the mechanical advantage, and the smaller the angle of force, the greater the lever arm.

4. What is the importance of understanding lever arms?

Understanding lever arms is crucial in many areas of science and engineering. It allows us to calculate the amount of force needed to move an object, the direction of the force needed, and the amount of work done. It also helps in designing and optimizing machines and structures for maximum efficiency.

5. How can one determine the direction of the force exerted by a lever arm?

The direction of the force exerted by a lever arm can be determined by the direction in which the force is applied. If the force is applied perpendicular to the lever arm, it will produce rotational motion in one direction. If the force is applied at an angle, it will produce both rotational and translational motion. The direction of the force can also be determined by using the right-hand rule, where the direction of the thumb represents the direction of the force.