Static friction and kinetic friction

In summary: HomeworkIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a chuck sliding down an inclined plane with friction. The problem requires determining the acceleration by applying Newton's 2nd law and drawing a free body diagram. The person initially struggles with finding the mass, but is reminded that it is not needed for the calculation. They eventually find the solution and thank the expert for their help, while also being reminded to follow the guidelines for posting homework questions.
salmacho
A chuck is sliding downward an inclined plane with friction. The inclined plane has an angel 26 degrees with the horisontal. At a point the chuck has a velocity 4 m/s. The velocity after 2 seconds goes down to 2 m/s. The g is applied to 9.81 m/s^2.

So from here I need to find the kinetic and static friction. The problem for me is that I don't know where to start. When I try do find Fx and Fy, I need the mass, so which way should I go through?

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't need the actual mass. Just call it "m" and continue.

What does the problem ask you to find? The coefficient of kinetic friction?

Doc Al said:
You won't need the actual mass. Just call it "m" and continue.

What does the problem ask you to find? The coefficient of kinetic friction?

The problem wants me to find the coefficient between the chuck and the inclined plane

salmacho said:
The problem wants me to find the coefficient between the chuck and the inclined plane
Good.

(1) Figure out the acceleration.

(2) Draw a free body diagram and then apply Newton's 2nd law.

salmacho said:
Where am I doing wrong? Please correct me
Redo your algebra. You dropped a factor of g.

salmacho,
Please, when you get a chance, read the guidelines for posting homework questions and use the template.
How to Ask for Help

Related to Static friction and kinetic friction

1. What is the difference between static friction and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is at rest, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is already in motion.

2. How do static friction and kinetic friction affect the movement of objects?

Static friction prevents objects from moving until a certain amount of force is applied, while kinetic friction slows down the movement of objects. Both types of friction play a crucial role in controlling the speed and direction of an object's movement.

3. What factors influence the amount of static friction and kinetic friction?

The amount of static friction depends on the weight of the object and the roughness of the surfaces in contact. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is affected by the weight of the object, the roughness of the surfaces, and the speed at which the object is moving.

4. Can the amount of static friction be greater than the amount of kinetic friction?

Yes, static friction is usually greater than kinetic friction. This is because it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance of an object at rest than to maintain its motion.

5. How can we reduce the effects of static friction and kinetic friction?

One way to reduce the effects of friction is by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smooth surface between the two objects in contact. Another way is by using wheels or rollers, which reduce the amount of surface area in contact and thus reduce the friction force.