Static Equilibrium/Torque-Calculating the force required to tip a box

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the force required to tip a uniform crate resting on a floor with a given coefficient of static friction. The solution involves considering the perpendicular distance between the applied force and the center of mass, as well as taking into account the force of friction and force normal. The final equation for the required force is incorrect due to not considering torque from the force normal.
taloz
Static Equilibrium/Torque--Calculating the force required to tip a box

Homework Statement

A uniform crate with a mass of 13.2 kg rests on a floor with a coefficient of static friction equal to 0.536. The crate is a uniform cube with sides 1.21 m in length.
(a) What horizontal force applied to the top of the crate will initiate tipping?

(b) If the horizontal force is applied halfway to the top of the crate it will begin to slip before it tips. Explain.

Homework Equations

Fg= mg
Sum of torques=0
Sum of the forces=0

The Attempt at a Solution

If you apply a force to the top of the crate to initiate tipping the perpendicular distance between that force and the center of mass (my axis of rotation) should be 1.21/2 meters

The force of friction should also act 1.21/2 meters perpendicular of the center of mass (this is a cube after all).

Therefore, if the sum of the torques equals 0,

(1.21/2)*Force = (1.21/2)*Friction

(1.21/2)*Force = (1.21/2)*0.536*13.2*9.8

Force= .536*13.2*9.8

Webassign-- the thing i use to submit my homework online-- tells me that this is incorrect. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong to me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Nevermind, i see what the problem is. I'm forgetting to consider torque from the force normal. I'll have to change my pivot point to the area with the friction and Force normal and look at gravity and the force applied.

Related to Static Equilibrium/Torque-Calculating the force required to tip a box

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and all the forces acting on it are balanced. This means that the object will not accelerate or rotate.

2. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the force and the pivot point.

3. How do I calculate the force needed to tip a box?

To calculate the force needed to tip a box, you first need to determine the center of mass of the box. Then, you can use the formula F = mg * sin(theta) to calculate the force needed, where F is the force, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle at which the box is being tipped.

4. How does the weight of the box affect the force needed to tip it?

The weight of the box affects the force needed to tip it because the weight is a component of the force (F = mg * sin(theta)). The heavier the box, the greater the force needed to tip it.

5. What other factors besides weight can affect the force needed to tip a box?

Other factors that can affect the force needed to tip a box include the shape and size of the box, the surface it is sitting on, and any external forces acting on the box (such as wind or friction).