Start a Small Business Installing Floors & Painting

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Business
In summary: But I have heard that in other countries this may not be the case.All i know is that paying someone as an independant contractor is a +++ for a business as opposed to a salaried employee.All i know is that paying someone as an independant contractor is a +++ for a business as opposed to a salaried employee.+++ good?Yes, it is a good deal for the business. The employee is not obligated to stay with the company for a long time, they can leave whenever they want. And, because the employee is not an employee, they are not entitled to any of the employee benefits that the company would normally provide, like health insurance, vacation days, etc...
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Alright guys, I'm thinking about starting a small business.

Nothing big though.

It's kind of like that College Pro Painting thing, but with something more practical.

I'm just looking into installing floors like Ceramic Tiles. I'll paint too, but it won't be my main focus.

I just have a small question regarding employment. I'm going to hire someone. To escape from paying any annoying things like Income Tax, Employment Insurance, Canadian Pension Plan, etc... on his cheques, I'm just going to pay him as a Independent Contractor.

Would that be alright?

I'm aware of some of the legal implications that I must take to assure that he is a Independent Contractor in case anything happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jason good luck with your new venture. I would talk to a CPA or small business lawyer. In the meantime here is some good reading material for you.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

http://www.wwwebtax.com/general/independent_contractor.htm

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectID/4E3C9751-CE3F-40E2-869381320F438820/111/259/173/FAQ/

What are the risks of hiring independent contractors?

Despite the advantages, many businesses are wary of using ICs because they have heard about or experienced the consequences of misclassifying as ICs workers who are, legally, employees. And it's true that the consequences can be economically devastating. A business must pay the IRS all back taxes owed, with interest, plus a penalty of 12% to 35% of the tax bill.

Audits by state agencies are even more common than IRS audits. State audits most frequently occur when workers classified as ICs apply for unemployment compensation after their services are terminated.

Another major disadvantage of hiring ICs is that they can sue you for negligence if they are injured on the job. This is something employees normally cannot do, because their work injuries are covered by workers' compensation insurance.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Jason good luck with your new venture. Here is some good reading material for you.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

http://www.edd.ca.gov/taxrep/txicr.htm

It's in Canada by the way. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
All i know is that paying someone as an independant contractor is a +++ for a business as opposed to a salaried employee.

Pengwuino said:
All i know is that paying someone as an independant contractor is a +++ for a business as opposed to a salaried employee.

+++ good?

... or is +++ a censored word?

There are restrictions to an independent contractor though. I have very minimal control over what they are doing.

+++ good good good. It's a great deal on both sides when the employee isn't necessarily looking for a career or likes the freedom of being semi self-employed.

Pengwuino said:
+++ good good good. It's a great deal on both sides when the employee isn't necessarily looking for a career or likes the freedom of being semi self-employed.

That's basically it.

But then, I can't order around too much. That sucks if they dick around.

Oh yah that's a big problem with a small business. Your dream rides on other people's shoulders as well as your own.

Sell drugs.

just a heads up

don't work for college pro, they are a scam, or anyone like them for that matter.

instead, if u want to learn a trade, become a grunt and pick the manager's brain. then do it solo next year. or buddy up with someone and start a joint venture.

just don't buy a "franchise" u'll get screwed.

anywya, that's my soapbox, good luck

hockeyman001 said:
don't work for college pro, they are a scam, or anyone like them for that matter.

instead, if u want to learn a trade, become a grunt and pick the manager's brain. then do it solo next year. or buddy up with someone and start a joint venture.

just don't buy a "franchise" u'll get screwed.

anywya, that's my soapbox, good luck

I never intended to get a franchise. I never said I would in the thread opener.

Anyways, I decided not to do it because it would take up time and I felt that I wouldn't do the best job ever. Sure, it would look good, but it might not be the best. If you've seen Holmes on Homes, you'll know what I mean. I don't want to rip people off intentionally or unintentionally because I have professional background.

JasonRox said:
+++ good?

There are restrictions to an independent contractor though. I have very minimal control over what they are doing.
In your circumstances, it's not a big deal, but I cannot condone evading taxes. Issues that go with being a contractor instead of being an employee is that (at least here in the US) you are responsible for your own medical insurance, medicare and social security, income taxes, retirement benefits, etc... all which decrease your net income significantly.

In the US you can make a certain amount of income without being obligated to pay taxes, it is a small amount though, something like $3k annually.

Evo said:
In your circumstances, it's not a big deal, but I cannot condone evading taxes. Issues that go with being a contractor instead of being an employee is that (at least here in the US) you are responsible for your own medical insurance, medicare and social security, income taxes, retirement benefits, etc... all which decrease your net income significantly.

In the US you can make a certain amount of income without being obligated to pay taxes, it is a small amount though, something like $3k annually.

I didn't intend to evade taxes.

JasonRox said:
+++ good?

Good, because you liability decreases, however I would look into getting some sort of Liability insurance

JasonRox said:
I didn't intend to evade taxes.

Dont evade, but it is certainly in your advantage to understand the tax laws in side and out.

Just be aware that unless your contract employees are stupid, they'll need to be paid considerably more than what a regular employee would, because of what Evo said about the added expenses for them. I'm a contract employee and though my boss does give paid vacation and sick days and I work from home enough to claim part of my house, that doesn't make up for the other half of my SS tax I have to pay and my health insurance.

However:

As a company if you use contractors, you don't need to pay corporate employment tax for the contractors. It is deemed a service, and thus is tax deductible (AFAIK). So in the end you are paying the same amount. I am also a consultant.

I don't intend on starting this business now. I mentionned it in my previous posts.

I took a Tax Class (Corporate and Individual), Accounting and Business Law and I am aware of my duties.

I asked in my original thread to just get opinions and see if I'm missing something or not.

Related to Start a Small Business Installing Floors & Painting

1. How do I determine the start-up costs for my small business?

The start-up costs for your small business will depend on a variety of factors such as the type of flooring and painting services you plan to offer, the size of your business, and your location. It is important to create a detailed business plan and budget to accurately estimate your start-up costs. You may also want to consider seeking advice from a financial advisor or business mentor.

2. What type of insurance do I need for my small business?

As a business owner, it is important to protect your business and yourself by having the right insurance coverage. Some types of insurance you may want to consider include general liability insurance, workers' compensation insurance, and professional liability insurance. It is best to consult with an insurance agent to determine the specific insurance needs for your business.

3. How do I attract and retain customers for my small business?

Building a strong customer base is crucial for the success of your small business. Some ways to attract and retain customers may include offering competitive pricing, providing excellent customer service, and having a strong online presence. You can also ask for referrals from satisfied customers and use social media to showcase your work and reach potential customers.

4. What licenses and permits do I need to start my small business?

The licenses and permits required for your small business will vary depending on your location and the services you offer. You may need a general business license, as well as specific licenses for flooring and painting services. It is important to research the requirements in your area and obtain all necessary licenses and permits before starting your business.

5. How can I manage my finances and keep track of expenses for my small business?

Managing your finances is a crucial aspect of running a successful small business. It is important to keep accurate records of all income and expenses, as well as have a budget in place. There are various accounting software and tools available that can help you track your finances and stay organized. You may also want to consider hiring a professional accountant to assist with managing your finances.