Standing Waves in a closed pipe

In summary, standing waves in a closed pipe with one open end and one closed end have specific patterns of nodes and antinodes, with the number of nodes and antinodes increasing with each harmonic. The formula for wavelength in this scenario is Lambda = 4L/n, where n is the number of harmonic and can only be odd integers. To determine the number of nodes and antinodes for a specific harmonic, you can use the formula (n+1)/2 nodes and (n+1)/2 antinodes if n+1 is even, or (n+2)/2 nodes and n/2 antinodes if n+1 is odd. This can be illustrated by drawing the first few standing waves and observing
HumorMe81
So confused about standing waves in a closed pipe, which is open at one end and closed at the other. The closed end has a node while the open end has an antinode. To figure the wavelength, i use the formula:
Lambda = 4L/n where n is the number of harmonic and can only be odd integers
frequency of the wave, f = nv/4L

How can i figure out the number of nodes or antinodes? For example, the first harmonic is the fundamental frequency and has one node and one antinode. the third harmonic is the first overtone and has two nodes and two nodes. the fifth harmonic is the second overtone and has three nodes and three antinodes. What if I come across a situation where I'm dealing with n=53, is there a formula i can employ to figure out the number of nodes and antinodes?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the first few standing waves and generalize. You will find that the n-th harmonic has n+1 nodes and anti-nodes (combined). If n+1 is even there will be (n+1)/2 nodes and (n+1)/2 anti-nodes. If n+1 is odd, there will be (n+2)/2 nodes and n/2 anti-nodes.

Mr.Miyagi said:
Draw the first few standing waves and generalize. You will find that the n-th harmonic has n+1 nodes and anti-nodes (combined). If n+1 is even there will be (n+1)/2 nodes and (n+1)/2 anti-nodes. If n+1 is odd, there will be (n+2)/2 nodes and n/2 anti-nodes.

I tried your recommendation in a problem in my mcat book and it works great. For some reason, the book doesn't discuss how to figure out nodes and antinodes. Thank you so much, really appreciate it!

Related to Standing Waves in a closed pipe

1. What are standing waves in a closed pipe?

Standing waves in a closed pipe are a type of sound wave that is formed when sound waves of the same frequency reflect back and forth between two ends of a closed pipe. This creates a pattern of nodes (points of no motion) and antinodes (points of maximum motion) along the length of the pipe.

2. How are standing waves in a closed pipe different from other types of sound waves?

Unlike other types of sound waves, standing waves in a closed pipe do not travel in a single direction. Instead, they are stationary and do not propagate outward from the source. They also have distinct patterns of nodes and antinodes, unlike other sound waves which may have varying amplitudes throughout their propagation.

3. How are standing waves in a closed pipe formed?

Standing waves in a closed pipe are formed when sound waves of the same frequency and amplitude are reflected back and forth between two ends of the pipe. This creates interference patterns that result in stationary nodes and antinodes.

4. What factors affect the formation of standing waves in a closed pipe?

The length of the pipe, the speed of sound, and the frequency of the sound waves all affect the formation of standing waves in a closed pipe. The longer the pipe, the longer the distance between nodes and antinodes. The speed of sound also affects the wavelength of the standing wave. Additionally, the frequency of the sound waves must be such that they can create nodes and antinodes at the ends of the pipe.

5. What are some practical applications of standing waves in a closed pipe?

Standing waves in a closed pipe have various practical applications, including in musical instruments such as organ pipes and flutes. They are also used in industrial settings, such as in resonant tubes for gas analysis. Additionally, they can be used in acoustic filters and resonators for certain frequencies of sound.