Standing Wave in Closed Tubes Lab

In summary, the conversation discusses using tuning forks and equipment such as Logger Pro and a USB microphone to find the frequency and length of 7 notes and approximate the speed of sound. The equation used is fn = (nv)/(4L), but the teacher notes that the velocity may not be accurate and should be around 343 m/s. The n value is important as it represents the harmonic being measured, and for tuning forks, it should be an odd number.
dragahlak
1. http://img856.imageshack.us/i/scanpic0001.png/
using tuning forks, you're supposed to choose 7 notes and find the frequency and length then find an approx speed for sound. we did this with logger pro and a USB microphone device and glass tubes. i plugged in my data to this eq'n: fn = (nv)/(4L) but velocity didn't look right and not even close to 343. the teacher said the Hz plugged in comes from the peak on the chart recorded on Logger Pro and Length comes from the surface of the water to the top of the inside beaker

2. fn = (nv)/(4L)
3. for E 320 Hz. i got 1933 Hz and .235 m
what's n supposed to be? i think it has to be odd
if n = 1 i get v = 1817 m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if n = 3 i get v = 1714 m/s if n = 5 i get v = 1657 m/s N is the number of the harmonic that you are measuring. Since you are measuring the frequency of a tuning fork, the N value should be an odd number since the tuning fork produces odd harmonics.

Related to Standing Wave in Closed Tubes Lab

1. What is the purpose of the Standing Wave in Closed Tubes Lab?

The purpose of this lab is to investigate the properties of standing waves in closed tubes and how they relate to the fundamental frequency and harmonics.

2. What materials are needed for this lab?

The materials needed for this lab typically include a closed tube, a tuning fork, a ruler or measuring tape, and a source of sound such as a speaker or smartphone.

3. How do you set up the experiment for this lab?

To set up the lab, the closed tube should be filled with water and the tuning fork should be struck against a solid surface to create a sound wave. The tuning fork should then be placed at the opening of the tube and the water level should be adjusted until a standing wave is formed.

4. What are the expected results for this lab?

The expected results for this lab include observing the formation of standing waves in the closed tube and measuring the distance between the nodes to determine the wavelength of the standing wave. The fundamental frequency and harmonics can also be calculated using the length of the tube and the speed of sound in air.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this lab?

Some potential sources of error in this lab include inaccurate measurements of the tube length or water level, external noise interfering with the sound wave, and variations in the speed of sound due to temperature or humidity changes. It is important to take multiple measurements and ensure the experiment is conducted in a quiet environment to minimize these errors.