Standard normal limiting function chi squared

In summary: Math Tutor, an expert summarizer of content, has provided a summary of a conversation discussing the limiting distribution of a variable. They mention using the method of MGF and simplifying to an MGF of e^(1/2t^2) to find the limiting distribution, which is the standard normal distribution. They also mention that this is just an application of the Central Limit Theorem and that the result holds for any distribution with finite mean and variance.
davidkong0987
Hi, I have a question

If X1,X2,...,Xn are independent random variables having chi-square distribution witn v=1 and Yn=X1+X2+...+Xn, then the limiting distribution of

(Yn/n) - 1
Z= --------------- as n->infinity is the standard normal distribution.
sqrt(2/n)

I know that Yn has chi-square distribution with v=n, but how to proceed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I read this post on physics forum but no one had answered it. I finally found an answer and thought I should share it. The methodology might seem obvious - using the method of MGF (moment generating functions).

The MGF of Y is that of a chi-squared distribution with n degrees of freedom:
(1-2t)^(-n/2).

Applying the transformation Y --> Z will give you an MGF of Z of
e^(-√(n/2) t) (1-√(2/n) t)^(-n/2).

Now, this is the million dollar question: you will have to use the series ln⁡(1+x)=x-1/2 x^2+1/3 x^3+⋯.

This will help you simplify to an MGF of e^(1/2t^2) which is the mgf of a standard normal curve.

davidkong0987 said:
Hi, I have a question

If X1,X2,...,Xn are independent random variables having chi-square distribution witn v=1 and Yn=X1+X2+...+Xn, then the limiting distribution of

(Yn/n) - 1
Z= --------------- as n->infinity is the standard normal distribution.
sqrt(2/n)

I know that Yn has chi-square distribution with v=n, but how to proceed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is nothing new to prove: this is just an application of the Central Limit Theorem. There is nothing special about chi-squared here: the result holds for any distribution having finite mean and variance, and the proof (using MGF) is almost the same.

RGV

Related to Standard normal limiting function chi squared

1. What is the Standard Normal Limiting Function Chi Squared?

The Standard Normal Limiting Function Chi Squared is a statistical distribution that is used to analyze data and determine the probability of certain events occurring. It is often used in hypothesis testing and to determine confidence intervals.

2. How is the Standard Normal Limiting Function Chi Squared calculated?

The Standard Normal Limiting Function Chi Squared is calculated by taking the sum of the squared deviations between the observed data and the expected data, divided by the expected data. This value is then compared to a table of critical values to determine the probability of the observed data occurring.

3. What is the relationship between the Standard Normal Limiting Function Chi Squared and the normal distribution?

The Standard Normal Limiting Function Chi Squared is a special case of the normal distribution when the mean is 0 and the standard deviation is 1. It is often used as an approximation for the normal distribution when sample sizes are small.

4. How is the Standard Normal Limiting Function Chi Squared used in hypothesis testing?

In hypothesis testing, the Standard Normal Limiting Function Chi Squared is used to determine the probability of obtaining a certain result if the null hypothesis is true. If this probability is low enough, it is considered statistically significant and the null hypothesis can be rejected.

5. What are the limitations of using the Standard Normal Limiting Function Chi Squared?

The Standard Normal Limiting Function Chi Squared assumes that the data being analyzed is normally distributed and that the sample size is large enough for the approximation to be accurate. If these assumptions are not met, the results may not be reliable. Additionally, it cannot be used for data that is not continuous and it is sensitive to outliers.