Standard deviation translation property proof - confused with property

In summary, to prove that $$std(x+c) = std(x)$$, we can use the property $$mean(x+c) = mean(x) + c$$ and plug it into the definition of standard deviation to show that the two are equal.
lantay77
I need to prove that $$std(x+c) = std(x)$$

I have been trying to use the properties of the mean such as $$mean(x+c) = mean(x) + c$$

I am confused on the following property of the mean, is this statement correct?

$$\sum\limits_{i=1}^{i=N}(x_i - mean(\{x\}))^2 = mean(\{x\}) \\$$

If that is correct, then by the definition of standard deviation, is the following correct?

$$std(x) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_{i=1}^{i=N}(x_i - mean(\{x\}))^2} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{N}mean(\{x\})} \\$$

This does not seem right to me.

Here is my previous attempt at the proof, I think I am doing something wrong, this is why I am now attempting with the above property.

$$std(\{x + c\}) = \sqrt{mean(\{((x+c) - mean(\{x\}) + c)^2\})}$$
$$= \sqrt{mean(\{(x - mean(\{x\}) + 2c)^2\})}$$
$$= \sqrt{\frac{((x_1 - mean(\{x\}) + 2c))^2) + ((x_2 - mean(\{x\}) + 2c))^2) + ... + ((x_n - mean(\{x\}) + 2c))^2)}{N}}$$

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
lantay77 said:
I need to prove that $$std(x+c) = std(x)$$

I have been trying to use the properties of the mean such as $$mean(x+c) = mean(x) + c$$

Plug that straight into the equation for standard deviation. Doesn't the proof then appear trivial?

Simple equation: [itex]x_i+c-mean(x+c) = x_i-mean(x)[/itex].

Plug into the definition of standard deviation to get desired result.

Related to Standard deviation translation property proof - confused with property

1. What is the translation property of standard deviation?

The translation property of standard deviation states that adding or subtracting a constant value to each data point will result in the same constant value being added or subtracted to the standard deviation. This means that the spread of the data remains the same regardless of the added or subtracted value.

2. How does the translation property affect the proof of standard deviation?

The translation property does not affect the proof of standard deviation because it is a property that is inherent to the calculation of standard deviation. It is simply a mathematical property that does not impact the proof itself.

3. Does the translation property only apply to standard deviation?

No, the translation property can apply to other measures of spread, such as variance. It is a general property of measures of spread that are calculated based on the distance between data points and the mean.

4. Why is the translation property important in statistics?

The translation property is important in statistics because it allows for the comparison of data sets that have been shifted or translated by a constant value. This is common in real-world data analysis, where data may be collected at different times or in different units.

5. Can the translation property be used with negative values?

Yes, the translation property applies to both positive and negative values. It states that adding or subtracting a constant value will result in the same constant value being added or subtracted to the standard deviation, regardless of the sign of the constant value.