Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Stable and unstable manifolds

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
Consider the system of differential equations

$$x' = 2x - e^y (2+y),$$ $$y' = -y.$$

Find the stable and unstable manifolds near the rest point.

I know that the stable manifold $W^s$ is a immersed surface in $\mathbb{R}^2$ with tangent space $E^s$ (the stable linear subspace). How can I compute the stable and unstable manifolds? I can't find decent instructions anywhere. Thanks.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Consider the system of differential equations

$$x' = 2x - e^y (2+y),$$ $$y' = -y.$$

I know that the stable manifold $W^s$ is a immersed surface in $\mathbb{R}^2$ with tangent space $E^s$ (the stable linear subspace). How can I compute the stable and unstable manifolds? I can't find decent instructions anywhere. Thanks.
Let's start with a qualitative approach to the system of differential equations.
The vector plot looks like this.
(Just learned how to make vector plots with W|A. ;))

You're looking for a curve through the rest point such that its tangent satisfies the equations at all points (or is a multiple thereof).

So what is the rest point?
Can you solve the system and find a curve that includes the rest point?

Fantini

MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
The rest point is found by solving simultaneously the equations. We find that $y=0$ and then $2x - 2 = 0$ or $x=1$. Therefore the rest point is $(1,0)$.

We also know that the linearization of the system is $$\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{bmatrix}.$$ I believe we can conclude that the stable manifold has dimension one (it is a curve).

I've seen in some places that we assume that $y$ can be parametrized as a function of $x$ to get this curve, or $y = \phi (x)$. But then what?

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Good. :)

I've seen in some places that we assume that $y$ can be parametrized as a function of $x$ to get this curve, or $y = \phi (x)$. But then what?
So... can you solve the system and write it as $y = \phi (x)$?
After that we'll see...

Fantini

MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
What do you mean by solve the system? By setting each equation to zero or as they are? In the latter I don't think such is possible. This is why I read that we assume it can be written and work from there. :confused:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
$$\begin{array}{ll}x' = 2x - e^y (2+y) & \qquad (1) \\
y' = -y & \qquad (2) \end{array}$$

What do you mean by solve the system? By setting each equation to zero or as they are? In the latter I don't think such is possible. This is why I read that we assume it can be written and work from there. :confused:
Let's see...
For example:
$$\begin{array}{lcll}
y' &=& -y & \qquad \text{starting from (2)}\\
\frac{y'}{y} &=& -1 \\
\ln y &=& -t + C \\
y &=& c_2 e^{-t} & \qquad (3)\\
t &=& -\ln(y/c_2) & \qquad (4)\\
\\
x' &=& 2x - e^y (2+y) & \qquad \text{continuing from (1)} \\
x' &=& 2x - e^{c_2 e^{-t}}(2+c_2 e^{-t}) & \qquad \text{substituting (3)}\\
\dots \\
x &=& c_1 e^{2t} + e^{c_2 e^{-t}} & \qquad (5)\\
x &=& c_1 e^{2 \cdot -\ln(y/c_2)} + e^y & \qquad \text{substituting (3) and (4)}\\
\dots
\end{array}
$$

Last edited: