Squeezing a capacitor, how does it effected the charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses two parallel-plate capacitors connected in parallel to a 10 V battery. One capacitor is squeezed, halving its plate separation. The question is then asked about the additional charge transferred to the capacitors and the increase in total charge stored due to the squeezing. The expert adds the capacitance values and calculates the initial charge to be 140 µC, but the correct answer is found by doubling the initial charge and adding the capacitance of the squeezed capacitor, resulting in 210 µC. The expert then realizes the mistake and correctly calculates the increase in charge to be 70 µC.
mr_coffee
I can't seem to get this one to work.

Two parallel-plate capacitors, 7.0 µF each, are connected in parallel to a 10 V battery. One of the capacitors is then squeezed so that its plate separation is halved.

(a) Because of the squeezing, how much additional charge is transferred to the capacitors by the battery?
wrong check mark µC

(b) What is the increase in the total charge stored on the capacitors, due to the squeezing?
µC

I tried the following:
Since its in paraellel, i added the C's and got C = 14, Q = CV;
Q = (14)(10) = 140, but they then said, the one capacitor is then squeezed so the plate separation is halved, so I figured I would double the result i got oringally, so i'd get 140*2 = 280, which was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind i figured it out! i just had to do 7*2 + 7, so i got (a) 70;
But for part b, i thought it would just be 210, but it was wrong, any ideas? Thanks

How much MORE is 210 than 140?

ohhh! thanks lightgrav :) 70.

Related to Squeezing a capacitor, how does it effected the charge?

1. How does squeezing a capacitor affect its charge?

When a capacitor is squeezed, the distance between the two plates decreases. This results in an increase in the electric field between the plates, causing the charge to increase. This is known as the capacitor's capacitance, which is directly proportional to the charge.

2. Does squeezing a capacitor increase or decrease its capacitance?

Squeezing a capacitor decreases the distance between the plates, thereby increasing the capacitance. This is because the capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates.

3. Can squeezing a capacitor damage it?

Yes, squeezing a capacitor can potentially damage it. When the plates of a capacitor are squeezed too close together, the dielectric material between them can break down, causing a short circuit. This can permanently damage the capacitor.

4. How does squeezing a capacitor affect its energy storage?

Squeezing a capacitor increases the charge and capacitance, which in turn increases the amount of energy stored in the capacitor. This can be seen in the equation for the energy stored in a capacitor, which includes both the charge and capacitance.

5. Is squeezing a capacitor a reversible process?

Yes, squeezing a capacitor is a reversible process. When the pressure is released, the distance between the plates will increase, returning the capacitor to its original state. However, if the capacitor is damaged during the squeezing process, it may not function properly even after the pressure is released.