Square Root Rules for Fractions: x∈[3,∞)

In summary, the conversation discusses the distinction between \sqrt{\frac{x-3}{x}} and \frac{\sqrt{x-3}}{\sqrt{x}}, with the former only being true for x\in [3,\infty) and the latter being true for all x\in (-\infty, 0)\cup [3,\infty). The conversation also mentions the plot of the function f(x) = \frac{\sqrt{x-3}}{\sqrt{x}} on Wolfram Alpha and the importance of considering the domain of a function when dealing with square roots. There is also a suggestion to split the function into two parts for x\geq 3 and x<0 to avoid dealing with imaginary factors.
Amer
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{x-3}{x}} = \frac{\sqrt{x-3}}{\sqrt{x}} [/tex]

that is not true for all x, it is true for [tex]x\in [3,\infty) [/tex]
I want to teach my students that the exponents distribute over fractions unless we have a case like that square root or any even root.
what do you think ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: about square root

Generally for the case

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{a}{b}} \) we require that

\(\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}\geq 0 \) which means either

• a $\geq$ 0,b>0
  • $a\leq 0$,b<0

For the first case we can state \(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}=\frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}} \)

What made me ask this question the website wolfarmalpha plot the function
[tex]f(x) = \frac{\sqrt{x-3}}{\sqrt{x}} [/tex]
View attachment 1433

although
[tex]f(-1) = \frac{\sqrt{-4}}{\sqrt{-2}} [/tex] which is not a real number
the domain of the function is [tex] [3,\infty) [/tex]
f should start from x=3 to infinity, Am I right ?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 82

Wolfram gives the plot of the function in the complex plane , we have to add the condition that $x \geq 3$ to only focus on real part.

- - - Updated - - -

Amer said:
[tex]f(-1) = \frac{\sqrt{-4}}{\sqrt{-2}} [/tex] which is not a real number

Unfortunately this is a real number [tex]f(-1) = \frac{\sqrt{-4}}{\sqrt{-2}} =\frac{2i}{\sqrt{2} i}=\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Amer said:
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{x-3}{x}} = \frac{\sqrt{x-3}}{\sqrt{x}} [/tex]
ZaidAlyafey's response shows that there is, in fact, a distinction between \(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{x - 3}{x}}\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{x - 3}}{\sqrt{x}}\). What level are your students at? It might be better to sweep this particular kind of example under the rug.

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I see this as a domain issue. If we consider the inequality:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x-3}{x}\ge0\)

we find $x$ in:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,0)\,\cup\,[3,\infty)\)

And over this domain, we may state:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{x-3}{x}}=\frac{\sqrt{x-3}}{\sqrt{x}}\)

topsquark said:
ZaidAlyafey's response shows that there is, in fact, a distinction between \(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{x - 3}{3}}\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{x - 3}}{\sqrt{x}}\). What level are your students at? It might be better to sweep this particular kind of example under the rug.

-Dan
They are high school students 11th class

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:
I see this as a domain issue. If we consider the inequality:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x-3}{x}\ge0\)

we find $x$ in:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,0)\,\cup\,[3,\infty)\)

And over this domain, we may state:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{x-3}{x}}=\frac{\sqrt{x-3}}{\sqrt{x}}\)

I think we should split it into two parts if x>=3
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{x-3}{x}} = \frac{\sqrt{x-3}}{\sqrt{x}} [/tex]

if x< 0
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{x-3}{x}} = \frac{\sqrt{3-x}}{\sqrt{-x}} [/tex]

right ?

Amer said:
I think we should split it into two parts if x>=3
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{x-3}{x}} = \frac{\sqrt{x-3}}{\sqrt{x}} [/tex]

if x< 0
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{x-3}{x}} = \frac{\sqrt{3-x}}{\sqrt{-x}} [/tex]

right ?

That would indeed be a better approach, as this way there are no imaginary factors to divide out. (Yes).

Related to Square Root Rules for Fractions: x∈[3,∞)

1. What are the basic rules for finding the square root of a fraction within the range x∈[3,∞)?

The basic rule for finding the square root of a fraction within the specified range is to first simplify the fraction as much as possible, then find the square root of the numerator and denominator separately. For example, if the fraction is 9/16, the square root would be √9/√16, which simplifies to 3/4.

2. Can the square root of a fraction within the range x∈[3,∞) be simplified further?

Yes, the square root of a fraction within this range can be simplified further if the numerator and denominator share a common factor. For example, if the fraction is 75/100, the square root would be √75/√100, which can be simplified to √3/2.

3. How do I determine if a fraction within the range x∈[3,∞) has a perfect square root?

A fraction has a perfect square root within this range if both the numerator and denominator are perfect squares. For example, 16/9 has a perfect square root because 16 is the square of 4 and 9 is the square of 3.

4. Can I use the square root rules for fractions within the range x∈[3,∞) for negative fractions?

No, the square root rules for fractions within this range only apply to positive fractions. Negative fractions do not have a real square root within this range.

5. What is the range of numbers for which the square root rules for fractions are applicable?

The square root rules for fractions are applicable for any fraction within the range of x∈[3,∞). This means that the fraction must have a value of 3 or greater in the numerator and a value of infinity or greater in the denominator.