Square root of complex number in rectangular form

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the square root of a complex number in rectangular form. The suggested method involves converting to polar coordinates, taking the square root, and then converting back to rectangular coordinates. This gives one of the two possible square roots. The formula mentioned in the conversation is equivalent to equation (1) on a provided website. The final step is to multiply by the (cos(theta/2) + isin(theta/2)) part to get the angle/imaginary part.
chebyshevF

Homework Statement

I don't know how to find the square root of a complex number in rectangular form?
As in, say, [tex]\sqrt{}9-6i[/tex]..my calculator can't do such an operation (yet my graphics calculator can, which can't be used in exams), so how do i go about to do this 'by hand'?

I just found this site: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SquareRoot.html half way down, is that the formula that we use? How do we take the inverse tangent of (x,y)? What's sgn? I've never been taught such a formula nor did I know something like it existed until now...this question is in regards to a third year electromagnetics course and some 3 questions on the tutorials involve square roots of complex numbers..yet I'm assuming the professor found them using a graphics calculator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the most straightforward way:

1. convert to polar coordinates ([itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex])
2. take the square root ([itex]\sqrt{r}e^{i\theta/2}[/itex])
3. convert back to rectangular coordinates ([itex]\sqrt{r}(\cos(\theta/2)+i\sin(\theta/2))[/itex]

This gives you one square root. There are two. What's the other one?

P.S. This is equivalent to equation (1) at the link you provided.

^^I actually did that, and I get the magnitude part right but i don't know how to get the angle/imaginary part? Or do i just multiply it all out by the (cos(theta/2) + isin(theta/2)) part?

Yep that's what you do! Just tried it out and it works, thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

Related to Square root of complex number in rectangular form

1. What is the formula for finding the square root of a complex number in rectangular form?

The formula for finding the square root of a complex number in rectangular form is √(a + bi) = ±(√a + √(bi)), where a and b are the real and imaginary components of the complex number, respectively.

2. Can the square root of a complex number have multiple answers in rectangular form?

Yes, the square root of a complex number can have two answers in rectangular form, as indicated by the ± symbol in the formula. This is because there are two possible square roots for any given complex number.

3. How do you convert a complex number from polar form to rectangular form?

To convert a complex number from polar form (r∠θ) to rectangular form (a + bi), you can use the following formulas: a = r cosθ and b = r sinθ. These formulas utilize the trigonometric functions cosine and sine to find the real and imaginary components, respectively.

4. Is the square root of a negative number possible in rectangular form?

Yes, the square root of a negative number is possible in rectangular form. This is because the imaginary component of a complex number is represented by the term bi, where i is the imaginary unit (√-1). Therefore, when taking the square root of a negative number, the imaginary component becomes real.

5. How can the square root of a complex number in rectangular form be represented on a graph?

The square root of a complex number in rectangular form can be represented on a graph by plotting the real and imaginary components as coordinates on the x- and y-axes, respectively. The result will be a point on the complex plane, with the distance from the origin representing the magnitude of the complex number and the angle from the positive x-axis representing the argument or angle of the complex number.