Square root of 4.1- do you have to use calculus?

In summary, calculators cannot give an exact result for problems like solving square roots. However, they can give up to n digits of the correct result.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Square root of 4.1-- do you have to use calculus?

In order to solve square root of 4.1, is there a simple arithmetic method or do you have to use calculus and use that "tangent line approximation formula"?

I wonder how do calculators do it... does anybody know?

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm assuming you by "tangent line approximation method" you mean Newton's method. What exactly is wrong with it?

I suppose if you wanted a more "elementary method", you could the following:
[tex]
x_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2} (x_n + \frac{4.1}{x_n} )
[/tex]

That sequence will converge to your square root, and it's an analog of Newton's method.

Oh, okay, I see the next topic in my book is Newton's method. Guess I should've read that first :shy:

Okay, I read Newton's method. Both methods don't give the exact results (to all sig fig). Do calculators give the exact result? I wonder.

Question: what book are you reading?

Calculus textbook, of course! It's produced by the OpenU of my country (IL)

Dory said:
Okay, I read Newton's method. Both methods don't give the exact results (to all sig fig). Do calculators give the exact result? I wonder.

No, calculators don't give an exact result, in general. How could they, since they only display a finite number of digits? They use an approximation algorithm like the one described above.

Dory said:
[tex]\sqrt{4.1}= \frac{\sqrt{41}}{\sqrt{10}}[/tex]

Neither 41 nor 10 is a perfect square so their square roots are irrational. Further, they have no common factors so the ratio of [itex]\sqrt{41}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{10}[/itex] is irrational. It cannot be written as a finite decimal expansion nor as a ratio of integers (fraction). No, calculators do not give an exact result for a problem like that- the exact result cannot be written in any "place value" notation.

Note, however, that if the calculator displays n digits of the result, those n digits are the correct first n digits of the decimal expansion of the number. The approximative methods allow you to calculate the correct digits up to any precision you desire.

Thanks Halls, guys. That pretty much clears it up for me :)

Related to Square root of 4.1- do you have to use calculus?

1. What is the square root of 4.1?

The square root of 4.1 is approximately 2.0248.

2. Do you always have to use calculus to find the square root of 4.1?

No, you do not always have to use calculus to find the square root of 4.1. There are other methods such as estimation or using a calculator.

3. Why is calculus sometimes used to find the square root of 4.1?

Calculus is often used to find the square root of 4.1 because it is a more precise method of calculation and can be applied to more complex numbers and equations.

4. Can you explain the calculus involved in finding the square root of 4.1?

To find the square root of 4.1 using calculus, you would use the derivative of the function f(x) = √x, which is f'(x) = 1/2√x. By setting f'(x) = 1/2√4.1 and solving for x, you can determine the value of the square root of 4.1.

5. Are there any other fields of math that can be used to find the square root of 4.1?

Yes, there are other fields of math such as algebra and geometry that can also be used to find the square root of 4.1. It ultimately depends on the complexity of the number and the desired level of precision.