Square root differential problem

In summary, the conversation is about a Taylor series and the process of finding the second term in equation 2. The person is wondering how the second term was resolved and why there is no ϵh' term in the denominator. The expert explains that the chain rule is used and the ϵh term in the denominator is set to zero when taking the derivative at a specific point. The conversation also mentions the use of ϵ=0 to simplify the equation.
knockout_artist
Hi,

I working on their text this equation did not make sense to me.

From equation 1 it differentiate second term , I wonder how he got second term of equation 2.

What I think is, what I wrote at the bottom

P_20170713_121813.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
They are doing a Taylor series and writing ## f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a) +... ## In this case ## x=\epsilon ## and ## a=0 ##. ## \\ ## I agree with their result.

but how did they resolve
f(x)=f(a)+f′(a)(x−a)+..
to get second term in eq 2.

knockout_artist said:
but how did they resolve
f(x)=f(a)+f′(a)(x−a)+..
to get second term in eq 2.
The chain rule. In numerator of ## f'(\epsilon) ## you have ## 2(y'+\epsilon h) h ##. You then compute ## f'(0) ##.

Likes knockout_artist
but then why there is no ϵh' term in denominator in second term in equation 2 ?
It should have stayed there.

and if were to consider ϵ = 0 then why there is still e multiplying second term in equation 2 ?

knockout_artist said:
but then why there is no ϵh' term in denominator in second term in equation 2 ?
It should have stayed there.

and if were to consider ϵ = 0 then why there is still e multiplying second term in equation 2 ?
The ## \epsilon ## is from ## (x-a)=(\epsilon-0)= \epsilon ##. Meanwhile, the ## \epsilon h ## in tthe denominator gets put equal to zero as part of taking ## f'(0) ##. (The entire term is the product of both of these which is ## f'(0)(x-a) ##.)

So like this ?

Attachments

• phy-formum.jpeg
    phy-formum.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Likes Charles Link

Related to Square root differential problem

1. What is a square root differential problem?

A square root differential problem is a mathematical equation that involves finding the square root of a variable, and then taking the derivative of that variable. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model rates of change.

2. How do you solve a square root differential problem?

To solve a square root differential problem, you first need to isolate the square root variable on one side of the equation. Then, take the derivative of both sides using the power rule or chain rule. Finally, solve for the derivative of the square root variable.

3. What is the power rule in a square root differential problem?

The power rule in a square root differential problem states that the derivative of the square root of a variable is equal to one half times the variable to the power of negative one half. In other words, if the square root variable is represented as √x, then its derivative would be 1/(2√x).

4. Can you give an example of a square root differential problem?

One example of a square root differential problem is finding the derivative of √(x^2 + 1). Using the power rule, we would first rewrite the equation as (x^2 + 1)^1/2. Then, taking the derivative, we get (1/2)(x^2 + 1)^-1/2 * 2x = x/(√(x^2 + 1)).

5. What applications use square root differential problems?

Square root differential problems are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model rates of change. They can also be used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum of a function.