Square Loop Of Wire True or False

In summary, when a square loop of wire with negligible self inductance is moved with constant speed from a field-free region into a region of uniform magnetic field and then back, a clockwise current flows in the loop upon entering and leaving the field. The emf in the loop is zero while it is entirely in the field. This is due to Lenz's law, which states that the current will flow in a direction to oppose the applied field. The coil also experiences a magnetic force to the right when entering the field and to the left when leaving the field, as determined by the right-hand rule.
shimizua

Homework Statement

A square loop of wire with a small resistance is moved with constant speed from a field free region into a region of uniform B field (B is constant in time) and then back into a field free region to the right. The self inductance of the loop is negligible.

http://capa-new.colorado.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype64/prob24_loop1.gif

A) Upon entering the field, a clockwise current flows in the loop.
B) While the loop is entirely in the field, the emf in the loop is zero.
C) Upon leaving the field, a clockwise current flows in the loop.
D) When entering the field the coil experiences a magnetic force to the right.
E) When leaving the field the coil experiences a magnetic force to the left.

Homework Equations

k so i assume we use the right hand rule for all of these.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only one that I know for sure to be right is B. Other then that I am a little confused. if you can just give me some hints that would help greatly

Physics news on Phys.org
Please someone help me

Hint: Look up Lenz's law in your book. It states that the current will flow in a direction to oppose the applied field. (You'll need your right-hand rule to figure it out). Lenz's law will also tell you the answer to D, E if you think about it.

Related to Square Loop Of Wire True or False

1. Is a square loop of wire considered a true or false loop?

A square loop of wire is considered a true loop.

2. Can a square loop of wire be used as an antenna?

Yes, a square loop of wire can be used as an antenna for receiving and transmitting radio signals.

3. Does the shape of the loop affect its performance?

Yes, the shape of the loop can affect its performance in terms of signal strength and directionality.

4. How is a square loop of wire different from a circular loop?

A square loop of wire has a different shape and geometry compared to a circular loop, which can affect its performance and resonance frequency.

5. Can a square loop of wire pick up both horizontal and vertical polarized signals?

Yes, a square loop of wire can pick up both horizontal and vertical polarized signals, making it a versatile choice for antenna applications.