SPST Relay Ratings and Operation Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications for an SPST relay, including the coil rating and contact rating. The question is asked whether a relay with a 24Vdc coil rating will work with lower voltages, and if a relay with a contact rating of 50Amps @ 14Vdc is suitable for use. The expert suggests finding a relay with a 20A or more rating and a 24Vdc coil rating, as the 15Vdc rating is uncommon. They also mention that the 15Vdc rating is likely for use in automobile circuits where the voltage can fluctuate.
aor
I'm having trouble understanding the ratings for an SPST Relay. I need one with the following specs:

Coil Rating: 12Vdc, Contact Rating: 20Amps @ 15Vdc

If I use a relay with a 24Vdc Coil rating, does that mean that it would require 24Vdc to operate, or is that the maximum amount of voltage it can handle? Will it work with lower than 24Vdc?

Also, I have found one with the following:

Coil Rating: 12Vdc, Contact Rating: 50Amps @ 14Vdc

I was contemplating using this one because it is 50Amps @ 14Vdc, not 15Vdc. Will I be okay using this relay?

Engineering news on Phys.org
aor said:
Will I be okay using this relay?

I'm pretty sure "yes" because it's such a minor difference and your main concern is the amperage anyhow. Wait for someone with a real knowledge of electricity to answer before doing anything, though.

THe second one should be OK - depends on what the load is - lights, no problem. The contacts are rated for the worst case - typically a pure inductive load like a solenoid or motor.
You should find one with ~20A or more and 24V. The 15V is an odd rating.

Windadct said:
The 15V is an odd rating.

I thought so too, but in the old days Radio Shack carried more of those than anything else. I always figured that it was to give leeway in a 12V circuit.

Windadct said:
You should find one with ~20A or more and 24V. The 15V is an odd rating.

That's normal for a automobile relay as the voltage during charge could be up to 15vdc for a nominal 12vdc electrical system.

Related to SPST Relay Ratings and Operation Confusion

1. What does SPST stand for in relation to relays?

SPST stands for Single Pole Single Throw. This refers to the number of poles (switch contacts) and the number of throws (positions) in the relay. In an SPST relay, there is only one pole and it can be either "on" or "off".

2. How do I determine the rating of an SPST relay?

The rating of an SPST relay is determined by its maximum voltage and current capacity. This information is typically labeled on the relay itself or can be found in the manufacturer's datasheet. It is important to choose a relay with a rating that is suitable for the voltage and current requirements of your circuit.

3. What is the operation of an SPST relay?

The operation of an SPST relay is fairly simple. When a small amount of current is applied to the coil, it creates a magnetic field that pulls the switch contacts together, closing the circuit. When the current is removed, the contacts return to their original position, breaking the circuit. This allows the relay to control a larger circuit with a smaller control signal.

4. Can an SPST relay be used in both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, an SPST relay can be used in both AC and DC circuits. However, it is important to choose a relay with a rating that is suitable for the type of circuit it will be used in. For example, a relay rated for DC circuits may not be suitable for use in an AC circuit, and vice versa.

5. What is the difference between a normally open and normally closed SPST relay?

A normally open SPST relay has its switch contacts in the open position when there is no current applied to the coil. When the coil is energized, the contacts close, allowing current to flow through the circuit. A normally closed SPST relay has its switch contacts in the closed position when there is no current applied to the coil. When the coil is energized, the contacts open, breaking the circuit. The type of relay you choose will depend on your specific circuit needs.