Springs and dampers and other fun stuff

In summary, the actual damping coefficient will change when the damper is moved from 10cm to 90cm from the pivot point, as the distance affects the force and displacement experienced by the damper. Make sure to take this into account when calculating the actual coefficient for each position. Best of luck!
woops
Hi everyone I am a second year engeneering student and i have a report to do where we have to work out the damping coeficient of a dashpot. This involved using the equivivilent system and displacement time graphs at two different points on the beam. I was wondering after converting the equivilent damping coefficent at each point ,one 10cm from the pivot end of the beam and the other at 90 cm from the beam, to the actual damping coeficient the two values should be the same. I guess what i am asking is if a damper is placed at 10cm from a pivot and then moved to 90cm should the actual damping coeficient change?
Please help my report is due in in a day and i have only just relised that i may have messed the whole discussion and background theory, so much for being fininshed a week ago :-(
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear engineering student,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about the damping coefficient of a dashpot. It sounds like you are working on a very interesting project!

To answer your question, yes, the actual damping coefficient should change if the damper is moved from 10cm to 90cm from the pivot point. This is because the damping coefficient is a measure of the resistance to motion, and the distance from the pivot point affects the amount of force and displacement the damper experiences.

In general, the further away a damper is from the pivot point, the greater the damping effect it will have. This is because the lever arm (distance from the pivot point to the damper) increases, resulting in a larger moment arm and therefore more force being applied to the damper.

To accurately determine the actual damping coefficient at each point, you will need to take into account the distance from the pivot point and the corresponding force and displacement values at each point. This will allow you to calculate the actual damping coefficient for each position and compare the two values.

I understand that your report is due in a day, but don't worry - it's always better to catch mistakes and make corrections before submitting your final work. I suggest taking some time to review your data and calculations to ensure that your results are accurate and supported by your background theory.

I hope this helps and good luck with your report!

Related to Springs and dampers and other fun stuff

What are springs and dampers used for?

Both springs and dampers are commonly used in mechanical systems to control the motion or vibrations of objects. Springs store potential energy and provide resistance to movement, while dampers dissipate energy and reduce the amplitude of vibrations.

How do springs and dampers work together?

Springs and dampers often work together in a system to achieve a desired level of motion control. The spring provides a restoring force to counteract any external forces acting on the system, while the damper absorbs energy and reduces the amplitude of the resulting motion.

What are some real-world applications of springs and dampers?

Springs and dampers have a wide range of applications, from simple household items like car suspension systems and door hinges, to complex systems like shock absorbers in vehicles and earthquake-resistant building structures.

What factors affect the behavior of springs and dampers?

The behavior of springs and dampers is affected by several factors, including the stiffness or spring constant, the damping coefficient, the mass of the object, and the amplitude and frequency of the external forces acting on the system.

How can you improve the performance of springs and dampers?

The performance of springs and dampers can be improved by optimizing their design and material properties. This can be achieved through careful selection of materials, adjusting the stiffness and damping coefficients, and incorporating advanced technologies like active or semi-active control systems.