Spring Differential Equation w/ Damping

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a spring with a spring constant of 20 pounds per foot, a 10-pound weight, and a retarding force of four times the velocity. The equation of motion, y(t), was found using the ODE's characteristic equation and the initial conditions. It was found that the coefficient of y'' in the differential equation was incorrect and should have been the mass, not the weight, of the object.
AmagicalFishy

Homework Statement

A spring with a spring constant of 20 pounds per foot is loaded with a 10-pound weight and allowed to reach equilibrium. It is then displaced 1 foot downward and released. If the weight experiences a retarding force in pounds equal to four times the velocity at every point, find the equation of motion where t is time and y(t) is displacement with respect to time.

Homework Equations

[tex]
10y'' + 4y' + 20y = 0 \\
y(t) = C_1e^{\lambda_1 t} + C_2e^{\lambda_2 t} \\
e^{i\theta} = cos{\theta} + isin{\theta} \\
y(0) = 1 \\
y'(0) = 0 \\
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The ODE's characteristic equation is:
[tex]10\lambda ^2 + 4\lambda + 20 = 0 \\
\text{or} \\
5\lambda ^2 + 2\lambda + 10 = 0[/tex]
Solving for lambda...
[tex]\lambda = \frac{-1 \pm 7i}{5}[/tex]

Therefore, y(t)—the solution to the ODE—is...
[tex]y(t) = C_1e^{\frac{-1 + 7i}{5} t} + C_2e^{\frac{-1 - 7i}{5} t} \\
\\
= C_1e^{\frac{-1}{5}t}e^{\frac{7i}{5}t} + C_2e^{\frac{-1}{5}t}e^{\frac{-7i}{5}t} \\
= e^{\frac{-1}{5}t} (C_1e^{\frac{7i}{5}t} + C_2e^{\frac{-7i}{5}t}) \\
= e^{\frac{-1}{5}t} (C_1cos{\frac{7}{5}t} + C_1isin{\frac{7}{5}t} + C_2cos{\frac{-7}{5}t} + C_2isin{\frac{-7}{5}t}) \\
= e^{\frac{-1}{5}t} (C_1cos{\frac{7}{5}t} + C_1isin{\frac{7}{5}t} + C_2cos{\frac{-7}{5}t} + C_2isin{\frac{-7}{5}t})[/tex]
Since cos[x] is even and sin[x] is odd...
[tex]
= e^{\frac{-1}{5}t} (C_1cos{\frac{7}{5}t} + C_1isin{\frac{7}{5}t} + C_2cos{\frac{7}{5}t} - C_2isin{\frac{7}{5}t}) \\
= e^{\frac{-1}{5}t} ( (C_1 + C_2)cos{\frac{7}{5}t} + (C_1 - C_2)isin{\frac{7}{5}t}) \\
\text{Let:} \\
A = (C_1 + C_2), B = i(C_1 - C_2) \\
\text{So...} \\
y(t) = e^{\frac{-1}{5}t} (Acos{\frac{7}{5}t} + Bsin{\frac{7}{5}t})
[/tex]

Now we use the initial conditions to solve for A and B.

[tex]
y(0) = e^{\frac{-1}{5}(0)} (A\cos{\frac{7}{5}(0)} + B\sin{\frac{7}{5}(0)}) = 1 \\
= A\cos 0 + B\sin 0 = 1 \\
A = 1 \\
y'(t) = \frac{-1}{5}e^{\frac{-1}{5}t}(A\cos{\frac{7}{5}t} + B\sin{\frac{7}{5}t}) +
e^{\frac{-1}{5}t} (\frac{-7}{5}A\sin{\frac{7}{5}t} + \frac{7}{5}B\cos{\frac{7}{5}t})
[/tex]

We end up w/: B = 1/7

So...
[tex]
y(t) = e^{\frac{-1}{5}t} \left(\cos \frac{7}{5}t + \frac{1}{7}\sin \frac{7}{5}t \right)[/tex]

(I'm not sure why the LaTeX stuff is showing up in boxes like that; I've tried a few things but it's always coming up).

This answer's, apparently, wrong; I'm not sure why. Halp, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

##y(t) = c_1e^{\frac{-1 + 7i}{5} t} + c_2e^{\frac{-1 - 7i}{5} t} \\
= c_1e^{-\frac{t}{5}}(cos(\frac{7t}{5}) + isin(\frac{7t}{5})) + c_2e^{-\frac{t}{5}}(cos(\frac{7t}{5}) - isin(\frac{7t}{5}))##

Find y'.

Now use those initial conditions.

Wolfram Alpha's answer agrees with yours. It could be you're entering the answer incorrectly if it's graded by a computer. I expect, however, it's because the coefficient of y'' in your differential equation is wrong. It's suppose to be the mass, not the weight of the object.

Related to Spring Differential Equation w/ Damping

1. What is a spring differential equation with damping?

A spring differential equation with damping is a mathematical representation of the motion of a spring when it is subjected to an external force and has a damping force acting against it. It is commonly used to model the behavior of mechanical systems, such as springs in a car suspension.

2. What is the general form of a spring differential equation with damping?

The general form of a spring differential equation with damping is m * d²x/dt² + b * dx/dt + k * x = F(t), where m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position, and F(t) is the external force applied to the object.

3. How does damping affect the behavior of a spring differential equation?

Damping affects the behavior of a spring differential equation by reducing the amplitude of the oscillations of the spring. This means that the motion of the spring will gradually decrease over time instead of oscillating indefinitely. Damping also affects the frequency of the oscillations, with higher damping coefficients resulting in lower frequencies.

4. How can you solve a spring differential equation with damping?

There are several methods for solving a spring differential equation with damping, including analytical methods such as the Laplace transform and numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. The appropriate method to use will depend on the specific parameters and initial conditions of the equation.

5. What are the real-world applications of spring differential equations with damping?

Spring differential equations with damping have many real-world applications, such as modeling the behavior of car suspensions, shock absorbers, and earthquake-resistant structures. They are also used in the study of electrical circuits, acoustics, and fluid dynamics.