Sports question. Team Race to 6 points chances

In summary, the conversation is discussing the probability of either team A or team B reaching 6 points first in an American football game. The assumptions made are that team A has a 0.62 chance of scoring a touchdown and that the probabilities of team A and team B reaching 6 points are independent. The question is what are the probabilities of team A and team B reaching 6 points first. The calculations were attempted but with conflicting results. The speaker is wondering if there are any mistakes in the assumptions or if there is another relationship between the probabilities that has not been considered.
themaestro
Was hoping someone might be able to assist in this problem
Scenario is have a American football game with two team A and team B.

Am trying to work out the probability of each team getting to 6 points first, from the following infomation:

Let A be the event team A scores equal to or more than 6 points
Let B be the event team B scores equal to or more than 6 points
Assuming P(A) and P(B) are independant so P(A and B)=P(A)P(B)

Also making the assumption that Team A has possession and have a 0.62 chance of scoring a touchdown (worth 6 points) on this possession
Let this be labelled as P(Apo)

let Af be the event team A gets to 6 points first
let Bf be the event team B gets to 6 points first

Let P(A)=0.7, P(B)=0.7
P(Af given (A and B))=0.75
P(Bf given (A and B))=0.25

so question is what are P(Af) and P(Bf)?
when I try to calculate I get P(Af)=0.5775 which clearly can't be right as need
P(Af)>=P(Apo).
Is there any problems with the assumptions?

Physics news on Phys.org
here is details of my attempt.

P(Af)=P(Af| (A and B)) *P(A and B) + P(Af| not(A and B))*P(not(A and B)) (1)

since P(Af| not(A and B)) can only occur if Team A reaches 6 points and B does not then this is equal to

(P(A)- P(A and B)) / (P(not(A and B))

sub into (1) and simplfying gives

P(Af)=P(Af| (A and B)) *P(A and B) +P(A)- P(A and B)

sub in values for these and I get P(Af)=0.557.

can't see where I have made a mistake here. If it is correct then it would imply I am not free to set P(Apo)>0.557 but I am not sure why this would be true. Surley as long as P(Apo)<P(A) i am free to set whatever value I want for this?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about where I have gone wrong? i reckon there must be some other relationship between P(Af) and P(Apo) that I have not taken account of.

Related to Sports question. Team Race to 6 points chances

1. What does "Team Race to 6 points chances" mean?

"Team Race to 6 points chances" refers to a specific type of scoring system in a sporting event where the first team to reach 6 points is declared the winner. This scoring system is often used in team sports such as basketball, volleyball, and tennis.

2. How does the "Team Race to 6 points chances" scoring system work?

In this scoring system, each team has the chance to earn points by winning a game or set. The first team to reach 6 points wins the game or set and earns a point. The first team to reach 6 points wins the match.

3. What happens if both teams reach 6 points at the same time in the "Team Race to 6 points chances" system?

In this scenario, the game or set is considered a tie and both teams earn a point. The match continues until one team wins by two points.

4. Is the "Team Race to 6 points chances" system used in professional sports?

Yes, this scoring system is commonly used in professional sports, particularly in tennis and volleyball. It is also used in amateur and recreational sports.

5. Are there any advantages to using the "Team Race to 6 points chances" system in sports?

One advantage of this scoring system is that it allows for shorter matches, making it more exciting for both players and spectators. It also adds a sense of urgency and competitiveness to the game, as each team is racing to reach 6 points before the other. However, some argue that it may not accurately reflect the skill level of the teams and can lead to a lack of balance in the game.