Splitting up exponential terms when integrating

In summary: The second time I did it, it yielded a form similar to the hint. But it's a bit frustrating to do integration by parts 3 times to solve one problem. Is there a faster way?In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of integrating from 0 to infinity of r^2exp^(-r/a0)dr and the use of relevant equations for solving it. The possibility of splitting up the exponential term is considered, but it is determined that this is not a valid approach. Integration by parts is ultimately used to solve the problem, although it may be frustrating to have to do it multiple times.
leviathanX777
1. Relevant problem

integrate from 0 to infinity of r^2exp^(-r/a0)dr

Homework Equations

I'm also given; integral from 0 to infinity of x^nexp^-x dx = n!

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just wondering if I can split up the exponential to make it look like this form. Eg;

integrate from 0 to infinity of (r^2e^(-r/a0)dr becomes; integrate from 0 to infinity of (r^2e^(-r)dr times integrate from 0 to infinity of (e^(1/a0)dr however I'm pretty sure when I split up the integral, the second term isn't correct. Can anyone help? I just don't want to integration by parts a lot of times. As there's two other terms with higher powers of r to go through.

Physics news on Phys.org
leviathanX777 said:
1. Relevant problem

integrate from 0 to infinity of r^2exp^(-r/a0)dr

Homework Equations

I'm also given; integral from 0 to infinity of x^nexp^-x dx = n!

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just wondering if I can split up the exponential to make it look like this form. Eg;

integrate from 0 to infinity of (r^2e^(-r/a0)dr becomes; integrate from 0 to infinity of (r^2e^(-r)dr times integrate from 0 to infinity of (e^(1/a0)dr however I'm pretty sure when I split up the integral, the second term isn't correct. Can anyone help? I just don't want to integration by parts a lot of times. As there's two other terms with higher powers of r to go through.
It looks like you are thinking that e-r/a = e-r * e1/a, which is not true. Review the properties of exponents. This wikipedia page has a summary.

The fastest approach to your integral, I believe, is by integration by parts. One application should get you to a form similar to the one you show in your relevant equations.

I did it already using integration by parts. First time I did it didn't yield something similar to the hint I was given. Had to do integration by parts twice and the exponential was still divided by ao all the way through.

Related to Splitting up exponential terms when integrating

1. What is the purpose of splitting up exponential terms when integrating?

Splitting up exponential terms when integrating allows for easier integration of complex expressions by breaking them into simpler parts.

2. How do you split up exponential terms when integrating?

To split up exponential terms when integrating, use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression as a sum or difference of logarithmic terms.

3. Can splitting up exponential terms when integrating be used for any exponential expression?

Yes, splitting up exponential terms can be applied to any exponential expression, as long as the properties of logarithms are used correctly.

4. Are there any specific rules to follow when splitting up exponential terms?

Yes, when splitting up exponential terms when integrating, be sure to apply the properties of logarithms correctly and make sure the resulting expression is equivalent to the original one.

5. Does splitting up exponential terms make integration faster?

In some cases, splitting up exponential terms can make integration faster by breaking down a complex expression into simpler parts. However, it may not always result in a faster integration process.