Spivak's calculus on manifolds

In summary, The conversation discusses Spivak's notation for partial derivatives and the advantages it has over classical notation. While the speaker understands the reasoning behind using Spivak's notation, they still find themselves thinking in terms of classical notation. They wonder if anyone else uses Spivak's notation outside of this book. Spivak's notation uses D1f(x,y,z) to denote the first partial derivative of f, whereas in classical notation it would be represented as f(u,v) where u and v are functions of x and y. The speaker also notes that using Spivak's notation can be helpful in more complex equations.
blerg
I am currently working through spivak's calculus on manifolds (which i love by the way) in one of my class. my question is about his notation for partial derivatives. i completely understand why he uses it and how the classical notation has some ambiguity to it. however, i can't help but thinking of partial derivatives, the chain rule (from R^n to R), and such in terms of the classical notation that i have used for so long. even my professor, though he sometimes uses spivak's notation, slips into the classical notation, especially when he is lecturing without notes.
my question is what notation do you prefer? i haven't seen spivak's notation anywhere outside this book even though it is such a well known book and the notation has obvious advantages. does anyone else use in their daily lives?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is Spivak's notation?

As long as you know that [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}[/tex] depends on all the coordinates [tex]x^1,...,x^n[/tex] and not just on [tex]x^i[/tex], using this notation is okay.

cristo said:
What is Spivak's notation?

He uses D1f(x,y,z) to denote the first partial derivative of f.
So far example you can write D1f(g(x,y),h(x,y)) = D1f(g(x,y),h(x,y))*D1g(x,y) + D2f(g(x,y),h(x,y))*D1h(x,y)
Whereas in classical notation it would be f(g(x.y),h(x.y)) = f(u.v) where u and v are functions of x any y and this gives us [tex] \frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}} = \frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{u}}}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{v}}}\frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{x}} [/tex]
but f means two different things on the two sides of the equation

it is also very helpful if you have something like f(g(x,y) + h(h,y), k(x,y))

Related to Spivak's calculus on manifolds

1. What is Spivak's calculus on manifolds?

Spivak's calculus on manifolds is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of differentiable manifolds, which are geometric objects that locally resemble Euclidean space. This branch of calculus is also known as differential geometry.

2. Who is Michael Spivak?

Michael Spivak is an American mathematician who is best known for his contributions to differential geometry, topology, and calculus. He is also the author of the popular textbook "Calculus on Manifolds", which is often used as a reference for this subject.

3. What are the key concepts in Spivak's calculus on manifolds?

Some of the key concepts in Spivak's calculus on manifolds include differentiable manifolds, tangent spaces, differential forms, integration, and Stokes' theorem. These concepts are used to study and analyze geometric objects such as curves, surfaces, and higher-dimensional spaces.

4. How is Spivak's calculus on manifolds different from traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with functions on Euclidean spaces, while Spivak's calculus on manifolds deals with functions on manifolds that locally resemble Euclidean space. This means that the techniques and methods used in traditional calculus may not apply to manifolds, and new concepts and tools are needed to study these objects.

5. What are some applications of Spivak's calculus on manifolds?

Spivak's calculus on manifolds has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Some specific applications include the study of general relativity, fluid mechanics, and computer graphics. It is also used in mathematical modeling and optimization problems in these fields.