[Spivak Calculus, Ch. 5 P. 9] Showing equality of two limits

In summary, the problem is asking to prove that if the limit of a function as x approaches a is equal to a certain value l, then the limit of the same function as h approaches 0 is also equal to l. This can be done by showing that for any given value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding delta for both limits that satisfies the definition of a limit. This can be proven through a proof by contradiction by assuming that l does not equal m and finding a contradiction.
WisheDeom

Homework Statement

Prove that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} f(a+h)##.

Homework Equations

By definition, if ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = l## then for every ##\epsilon > 0## there exists some ##\delta_1## such that for all x, if ##0<|x-a|<\delta_1## then ##|f(x)-l|<\epsilon##.

Similarly, if ##\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} f(a+h) = m## then for every ##\epsilon > 0## there exists some ##\delta_2## such that for all h, if ##0<|h-0|<\delta_2## then ##|f(a+h)-m|<\epsilon##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to go from here. I think maybe I need to perform a proof by contradiction by assuming that ##l \neq m##, but I don't know what kind of contradiction I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to prove that if the LHS has some limit l, then the RHS also has that same limit, and vice versa.

Edit: actually, not quite sure what he's asking for here.

Related to [Spivak Calculus, Ch. 5 P. 9] Showing equality of two limits

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a function approaches as its input variable gets closer and closer to a specific value. It is the value that the function "approaches" but may not necessarily reach.

2. How do you show equality of two limits?

To show equality of two limits, you must prove that the limits of both functions are equal at a specific point. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation, substitution, or other techniques such as the Squeeze Theorem or the Sandwich Theorem.

3. What is the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem, also known as the Sandwich Theorem, states that if two functions, g(x) and h(x), approach the same limit L as x approaches a, and f(x) is always between g(x) and h(x) when x is close to a, then the limit of f(x) at a also equals L.

4. Can you use the Squeeze Theorem to show equality of two limits?

Yes, the Squeeze Theorem can be used to show equality of two limits. It is a useful tool for proving the equality of limits when direct substitution or algebraic manipulation is not possible.

5. Are there any other techniques for showing equality of two limits?

Yes, there are other techniques for showing equality of two limits. These include using the definition of a limit, direct substitution, algebraic manipulation, and other theorems such as the Limit Laws and the Intermediate Value Theorem.