Spin states for two identical 1/2 particles - Confused :s

In summary, the total angular momentum of a system of two particles is the sum of the individual angular momenta, and can have a value of either zero or one.
Sara Kennedy
Im having trouble with my thought process for spin states of a system of two electrons

Using Total Spin 'S' and Total spin mag quantum numbers 'MS' as state ket |S MS>

My textbook states...

" Three Symmetric Spin states
Triplet spin stats for twin identical spin -1/2 particles
  • | Up Up> = |S MS> = |1, 1> "
My thought process, two half spin particles are involved so total spin S is 1/2 + 1/2=1 and two spin ups giving MS as +1/2 + 1/2 =1
  • " 1/√2 ( |Up Down> + |Down Up> ) = |1,0> "
I see this, again two spin particles are involved so its 1 again. However this time MS we two zeros in the bracket, ( (1/2 - 1/2) + (1/2 - 1/2) ) giving overall zero.

• " | Up Up> = |S MS> = |1, -1> "
I understand, same reasoning as point 1. Total spin as 1 from two half spin particles, and two -1/2 for MS giving -1.

" One Antisymmetric spin state
Singlet spin state for two identical spin-1/2 particles
  • 1/√2 ( |Up Down> - |Down Up> ) = |0,0> "
By my reasoning for the others, this has two spin particles of 1/2 so total spin should be 1 and MS zero again... What is wrong with my though process for how the Total spin and total mag quantum numbers are worked... How are totals calculated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sara Kennedy said:
By my reasoning for the others, this has two spin particles of 1/2 so total spin should be 1
Unfortunately, the addition of angular momentum operators is not simple as it is had they been mere numbers. The eigenvalues of the addition of two angular momenta goes like this
$$
s = |s_1-s_2|,|s_1-s_2|+1,\ldots,|s_1+s_2|-1,|s_1+s_2|
$$
In your problem, ##s_1=s_2=1/2##, putting these values into the above equation, you will get two possible values for the total angular momentum quantum number ##s=0,1##. The first three points you put forth corresponds to ##s=1##, while the last one to ##s=0##.

EDIT: I have replaced the capital ##S## with small ##s##, the former shall be used to denote the operator/matrix, while the latter for the eigenvalues.

Last edited:
I've been sitting here 15minutes and still can't see that... I don't follow that equation you wrote or how its derived from adding spin of of two particles.
I get this ... S=|S1+S2| but where is the reasoning for the rest of the equation?

Sara Kennedy said:
I've been sitting here 15minutes and still can't see that... I don't follow that equation you wrote or how its derived from adding spin of of two particles.
I get this ... S=|S1+S2| but where is the reasoning for the rest of the equation?

Is this your question:

The square of the total angular momentum of a spin 1/2 particle is ##S^2 = \frac{3 \hbar^2}{4}##. This is a positive scalar. So, how can two positive scalars of the same magnitude cancel out to give a total of ##S^2 = 0## for the composite system?

Sara Kennedy said:
You can find the values in the rightmost part of the equation in post #2 by first finding the eigenvalues of the operator ##S^2##,
$$
S^2 = S_x^2+S_y^2+S_z^2\\
S_i = S_{i1}\otimes \mathbf{1} + \mathbf{1}\otimes S_{i2}
$$
where ##i=x,y,z## and ##\mathbf{1}## is an identity matrix with the same dimension as ##S_{i1}## (or ##S_{i2}##). The symbol ##\otimes## is called "Kronecker product". It will be a tedious work, but if you are able to find the matrix form of ##S^2## for the composite system of two 1/2-particles and calculate its eigenvalues, you will conclude that ##S## has 4 possible values, three of them are unity, the other one is zero, or in short ##s=0,1##.

Last edited:

Related to Spin states for two identical 1/2 particles - Confused :s

What is a spin state?

A spin state refers to the orientation and angular momentum of a particle's spin, which is an intrinsic property of particles such as electrons and protons.

What are 1/2 particles?

1/2 particles, also known as fermions, are particles that have a half-integer spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. They follow the rules of quantum mechanics and have a spin of either +1/2 or -1/2.

What does it mean for two particles to be identical?

Two particles are considered identical if they have the same mass, charge, and spin. This is often the case for particles like electrons, which are indistinguishable from one another.

How do spin states work for two identical 1/2 particles?

For two identical 1/2 particles, there are four possible spin states: both particles can have spin +1/2, both can have spin -1/2, one can have spin +1/2 and the other -1/2, or vice versa. These spin states are known as singlet states and triplet states.

Why am I confused about spin states for two identical 1/2 particles?

The concept of spin states can be confusing because it is a property of particles that cannot be visualized or measured directly. Additionally, the rules of quantum mechanics that govern spin states can be counterintuitive and difficult to understand without a strong background in physics.