Spherical coordinates path integral and stokes theorem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving the path integral equation and Stokes' theorem, with the curl of the surface element being a factor. The person asking the questions is unsure about involving the Jacobian in the integral and is seeking clarification on the correct surface element for the second problem. The other person confirms that the approach for problem 1 is correct and that the Jacobian should not be involved. They also provide guidance on how to express the area and area vector for the second problem.
Biffinator87

Homework Statement

image2 (1).JPG

Homework Equations

The path integral equation, Stokes Theorem, the curl

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
image1 (1).JPG

sorry to put it in like this but it seemed easier than typing it all out. I have a couple of questions regarding this problem that I hope can be answered. First, does this look like the right path to the solution? I feel like I should be involving the Jacobian in the integral somewhere. Second, would the surface element be r2sin(θ) dθdφ for this and problem 2? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you are approaching problem 1 correctly. I'm not sure why you feel that a Jacobian [determinant (?)] should be involved here. Your surface area element is correct for problem 1. For Stokes' theorem you will need to consider the direction of the area vector for the surface element.

For the second problem, you do not have the correct surface area element. As you move around on the cone, there is no change in ##\theta##. So, ##d\theta = 0## and your expression for the surface element would be zero.

Consider how you would express the area of an infinitesimal patch of the cone in the shape of a rectangle (sort of), where two of the sides are due to an infinitesimal change in ##r## and the other two sides are due to infinitesimal changes in ##\phi##. You should also consider how you would express the area vector for this patch.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! The more I thought about it the more I understood why the Jacobian shouldn't be involved. I'll checkout that area vector and the direction of it.

Related to Spherical coordinates path integral and stokes theorem

1. What is the concept of a spherical coordinates path integral?

The spherical coordinates path integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a vector field along a path in three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving forces and motion in three dimensions.

2. How do you convert between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following equations:
x = r * sin(θ) * cos(φ)
y = r * sin(θ) * sin(φ)
z = r * cos(θ)
Conversely, to convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, you can use the equations:
r = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
θ = arccos(z/r)
φ = arctan(y/x)

3. What is the significance of the spherical coordinates path integral in physics?

The spherical coordinates path integral is significant in physics because it allows us to calculate the total value of a vector field along a curved path in three-dimensional space. This is important for understanding the motion of objects in three-dimensional space, as well as for solving problems involving forces and motion in physics and engineering.

4. How does the spherical coordinates path integral relate to Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a fundamental result in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of that surface. The spherical coordinates path integral is one way to calculate this line integral, making it a useful tool in applying Stokes' theorem to problems involving spherical coordinates.

5. Can the spherical coordinates path integral be used in other coordinate systems?

Yes, the spherical coordinates path integral can be generalized to other coordinate systems, such as cylindrical coordinates. In fact, the concept of a path integral can be applied in any coordinate system, as long as the appropriate equations for converting between coordinates are used. However, the spherical coordinates path integral is most commonly used in problems involving spherical symmetry.