Verifying Stokes' Flow for Fluid Motion Around a Sphere

In summary, the homework statement is to find a solution for the boundary value problem of Stokes’ equation in the region exterior to a sphere of radius R. The solution is called Stokes’ Flow and is given by p0=constant and n=r/r. The drag is 6πRνU and there is no lift.
Mark Mendl

Homework Statement

Let a spherical object move through a fluid in R3. For slow velocities, assume Stokes’ equations apply. Take the point of view that the object is stationary and the fluid streams by. The setup for the boundary value problem is as follows: given U = (U, 0, 0), U constant, find u and p such that Stokes’ equation holds in the region exterior to a sphere of radius R, u = 0 on the boundary of the sphere and u = U at infinity.
The solution to this problem (in spherical coordinates centered in the object) is called Stokes’ Flow:
stokes.png

where p0 is constant and n = r/r .
(a) Verify this solution.
(b) Show that the drag is 6πRνU and there is no lift.

If someone can help it would be great.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [/B]I started using the stokes equations but couldn't get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark Mendl said:
a) I started using the stokes equations but couldn't get there.

What coordinate system did you use, and what form of the stokes equations did you use? How can we help if you don't show us what you have done so far?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What coordinate system did you use, and what form of the stokes equations did you use? How can we help if you don't show us what you have done so far?

Chet
Using spherical coordinates (that is what asked in the problem I guess) and these equations
stokes2.png

I'm not sure about the n (U.n) term, it stays just U/r2?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Mendl said:
Using spherical coordinates (that is what asked in the problem I guess) and these equations
stokes2.png
OK. Express these equations in spherical coordinates, of course without the longitudinal dependence because of symmetry.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
OK. Express these equations in spherical coordinates, of course without the longitudinal dependence because of symmetry.

Chet
To prove the divergence equal to zero, only the term in r exists, so we have
stokes3.png

I solved that but it's not 0, I guess the problem is in the n (U.n) term...

Mark Mendl said:
To prove the divergence equal to zero, only the term in r exists, so we have
stokes3.png

I solved that but it's not 0, I guess the problem is in the n (U.n) term...
This is not correct for a couple of reasons. First of all, you have written the equation for the divergence in cylindrical coordinates, rather than spherical coordinates. Secondly, you have omitted the derivative with respect to the latitudinal coordinate.

Also, please write down for me the spherical components of the fluid velocity vector in the radial direction and latitudinal direction.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
This is not correct for a couple of reasons. First of all, you have written the equation for the divergence in cylindrical coordinates, rather than spherical coordinates. Secondly, you have omitted the derivative with respect to the latitudinal coordinate.

Also, please write down for me the spherical components of the fluid velocity vector in the radial direction and latitudinal direction.

Chet
Yes, actually when I solved it I used the equation for spherical and not that one, I put it wrong. (it's with both r squared).
But I only used the radial direction in the fluid velocity... how do we have a latitudinal component if n and U only have terms in r?

Last edited:
Mark Mendl said:
Yes, actually when I solved it I used the equation for spherical and not that one, I put it wrong. (it's with both r squared).
But I only used the radial direction in the fluid velocity... how do we have a latitudinal component if n and U only have terms in r?
The components of U they gave are for cartesian coordinates. I guess they should have mentioned that. You need to convert this to spherical coordinates.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The components of U they gave are for cartesian coordinates. I guess they should have mentioned that. You need to convert this to spherical coordinates.

Chet
So I rewrite U = (Ucosθ, Usinθ, 0), my vr will be something like -3/4*R*Ucosθ(1/r+1/r3) - 1/4R3*Ucosθ(1/r3-3/r5)+Ucosθ ?

Mark Mendl said:
So I rewrite U = (Ucosθ, Usinθ, 0), my vr will be something like -3/4*R*Ucosθ(1/r+1/r3) - 1/4R3*Ucosθ(1/r3-3/r5)+Ucosθ ?
No. It looks like you have several algebra errors in there. Try again, or show more details please.

Chet

Hum... how would stay n(U.n)? cos(θ)U/r? probably not...

Mark Mendl said:
Hum... how would stay n(U.n)? cos(θ)U/r? probably not...
No. n is the unit vector in the radial direction. So n(U.n)=Ucosθn.

Chet

Related to Verifying Stokes' Flow for Fluid Motion Around a Sphere

1. What is Stokes' Flow?

Stokes' Flow is a type of fluid flow in which the inertial forces are negligible compared to the viscous forces. This means that the fluid's motion is dominated by its viscosity and the effects of gravity and other forces are minimal.

2. How is Stokes' Flow verified for fluid motion around a sphere?

To verify Stokes' Flow for fluid motion around a sphere, the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a fluid, are simplified to only include the viscous forces. This results in the Stokes equations, which can then be solved numerically to obtain the fluid velocity and pressure fields around the sphere.

3. What are the assumptions made in verifying Stokes' Flow around a sphere?

The main assumptions made in this process are that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady and axisymmetric, and the Reynolds number (a dimensionless parameter that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces) is very small. These assumptions allow for the simplification of the Navier-Stokes equations to the Stokes equations.

4. What are the applications of verifying Stokes' Flow for fluid motion around a sphere?

Stokes' Flow has applications in various fields such as fluid mechanics, biophysics, and geophysics. The understanding of this type of flow can help in the design of microfluidic devices, analysis of blood flow in capillaries, and studying the motion of particles in the ocean or atmosphere.

5. Are there any limitations to using Stokes' Flow to model fluid motion around a sphere?

Yes, there are limitations to using Stokes' Flow. As mentioned earlier, this type of flow only applies to situations where the Reynolds number is very small. It also does not take into account the effects of turbulence, which can be significant in certain scenarios. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations when using Stokes' Flow to model fluid motion around a sphere.