Spherical coordinate derivatives

In summary, the three spherical coordinates can be described in terms of the derivatives with respect to the Cartesian coordinate system, as follows: df/dx=rcos\thetacos\varphi(df/d\theta)-rsin\varphisin\theta(df/d\theta)+cos\thetasin\varphi(df/dr)df/dy=rsin\thetacos\varphi(df/d\varphi)+rsin\varphicos\theta(df/d\theta)+sin\thetasin\varphi(df/dr)df/dz=-rsin\
absci2010
1. Find the derivatives of the spherical coordinates in terms of df/dx, df/dy, and df/dz.

2. f(x,y,z)
x=rcos[tex]\theta[/tex]sin[tex]\varphi[/tex]
y=rsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]
z=rcos[tex]\varphi[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]
I took the derivatives of the three equations and I got:
df/dx=rcos[tex]\theta[/tex]cos[tex]\varphi[/tex](df/d[tex]\theta[/tex])-rsin[tex]\varphi[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex](df/d[tex]\theta[/tex])+cos[tex]\theta[/tex]sin[tex]\varphi[/tex](df/dr)
df/dy=rsin[tex]\theta[/tex]cos[tex]\varphi[/tex](df/d[tex]\varphi[/tex])+rsin[tex]\varphi[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex](df/d[tex]\theta[/tex])+sin[tex]\theta[/tex]sin[tex]\varphi[/tex](df/dr)
df/dz=-rsin[tex]\varphi[/tex](df/d[tex]\varphi[/tex])+cos[tex]\varphi[/tex](df/dr)

I have three questions about this:
1) Am I taking the derivatives correctly?
2) Can my answer have x, y, and z in it, or does it have to be r, [tex]\theta[/tex], and [tex]\varphi[/tex]?
3) I think the next step is just algebra. Is the algebra going to be really messy?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, your expression for x is wrong, it should be

[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?[/URL][/URL] x = r \sin\theta \sin\varphi

to be consistent with the form of y and z.

That said, I'm confused by the statement of the question. Does it mean find the derivatives of a function f with respect to the spherical coordinates in terms of the derivatives with respect to the Cartesian coordinates? In any case, this question is dealing with applying the chain rule for partial derivatives, as you recognize. However, you seem to have incorrectly applied the chain rule.

[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?[/URL][/URL] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} \frac{\partial f}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} \frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} + \frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial x} \frac{\partial f}{\partial \varphi}

I believe you have the reciprocals of the correct factors in your expressions above. However, I believe that the problem is asking for you to express the inverse relationships

[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?[/URL][/URL] \frac{\partial f}{\partial r} = \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial y}{\partial r} \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial r} \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}

and so on. In this case we want to express everything on the right-hand side in terms of x,y,z. The algebra is not too bad. Just derive the relationships

[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?[/URL][/URL] r = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2},

[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?[/URL][/URL] \cos\varphi = \frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}

[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?[/URL][/URL] \sin\theta = \frac{y}{z}

The other trig functions can be eliminated by using simple trig identities.

Last edited by a moderator:
absci2010 said:
1. Find the derivatives of the spherical coordinates in terms of df/dx, df/dy, and df/dz.

2. f(x,y,z)
y=rsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]
z=rcos[tex]\varphi[/tex]

There's something wrong here.
Shperical coordinates have one radious and two angles, you got 1 radious and 3 angles.
I usually write:

[tex]x=r sin \varphi cos \theta [/tex]

[tex]y=r sin \varphi sin \theta [/tex]

[tex]z=r cos \varphi[/tex]

Sorry, it should be:
y=rsin[tex]\theta[/tex]sin[tex]\varphi[/tex]
z=rcos[tex]\varphi[/tex]

Related to Spherical coordinate derivatives

1. What are spherical coordinate derivatives?

Spherical coordinate derivatives are mathematical tools used to describe how a quantity changes with respect to changes in the spherical coordinates. They are particularly useful in physics and engineering, where many problems can be simplified by using spherical coordinates.

2. How are spherical coordinate derivatives calculated?

The calculation of spherical coordinate derivatives involves applying the chain rule and product rule to the partial derivatives of the spherical coordinates. This can be done using vector calculus or through the use of specialized formulas for specific derivatives.

3. What are the applications of spherical coordinate derivatives?

Spherical coordinate derivatives have many applications in physics and engineering, such as in solving problems related to electric and magnetic fields, fluid mechanics, and celestial mechanics. They are also used in computer graphics and 3D modeling.

4. What is the relationship between spherical coordinate derivatives and Cartesian coordinate derivatives?

Spherical coordinate derivatives and Cartesian coordinate derivatives are related through a transformation matrix. This matrix allows for the conversion of derivatives between the two coordinate systems, making it possible to solve problems in either system.

5. How can I improve my understanding of spherical coordinate derivatives?

To improve your understanding of spherical coordinate derivatives, it is important to have a strong foundation in vector calculus and differential geometry. Practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the formulas for different derivatives. Additionally, visualizing the coordinate system and its relationship to Cartesian coordinates can also aid in understanding.