Sphere Projection: Clarification Needed

In summary, the stereographic projection is a way to project a sphere onto a plane. It is based on the equations x'=x/(R^2-z), y'=y/(R^2-z) and z=sqrt(R^2-x^2-y^2). When projecting only one half of the sphere, the north pole z=R still projects to infinity. However, if you want to project the entire sphere, z=R is undefined and you will need to use another equation to find the projection.
Carol_m
Hello,

I was wondering if anyboday can clarify this for me. I am trying to project a sphere into a plane, I am using the stereogriphic projection which I believe in cartesian coordinates is:

x'=x/(R^2-z)
y'=y/(R^2-z)

where x' and y' are the coordinates in the plane, (x,y,z) the coordinates in the sphere and R is the radius of the sphere. Am I correct using this projection?
Also if I want to have x' and y' in terms of x and y ONLY can I rewrite z=sqrt(R^2-x^2-y^2)

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Carol_m said:
Also if I want to have x' and y' in terms of x and y ONLY can I rewrite z=sqrt(R^2-x^2-y^2)

This only works if you wish to project only one half of the sphere, either the half with positive z or with negative z. But if you want to project the entire sphere, it won't work because there are two different points of the sphere that has the same x and y coordinates, the only difference being their z coordinate, that is +z for one point and -z for the another one.

Hi Coelho,

Thank you for pointing that out, I did not think about it!

On the other hand, do you know if the steregraphic projection formula that I wrote is correct?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Yes, it's right. It's what you get if you sit the sphere on top of the plane, with the south pole of the sphere at the origin of the plane. Pick a point P on the sphere and draw a line through the north pole N and P. Where the line NP cuts the plane is the stereographic projection of P. This works for all points except the North pole z=R itself, which we might say projects to 'infinity' (though bear in mind this is a purely formal assignment). Draw a picture and make sure you can work out the equations you gave for yourself.

Beware that you might come across different conventions. For example, I prefer to use the projection with the plane cutting the equator of the sphere. Or if we want to include the north pole we can swap the role of the poles, so the projection is undefined (or infinity) for the south pole instead.

Related to Sphere Projection: Clarification Needed

1. What is sphere projection?

Sphere projection is a method used in cartography to represent a spherical object, such as the Earth, on a two-dimensional surface, such as a map. It involves projecting the points and lines of the spherical object onto a flat surface in a way that preserves their relative positions and shapes.

2. How does sphere projection work?

Sphere projection works by mathematically transforming the coordinates of points on a sphere onto a flat surface. There are different types of sphere projections, each with its own mathematical formula, but they all aim to accurately represent the spherical object in a two-dimensional form.

3. Why is sphere projection important?

Sphere projection is important because it allows us to create accurate and useful maps of the Earth. It also helps us understand and visualize spatial relationships between different locations on the globe. Without sphere projection, it would be impossible to accurately represent the Earth on a map.

4. What are some common types of sphere projections?

Some common types of sphere projections include Mercator, Robinson, and Peters projections. Each of these projections has its own unique characteristics and is used for different purposes. For example, the Mercator projection is often used for navigation, while the Robinson projection is better for showing the overall shape of continents.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using sphere projection?

Yes, there are some drawbacks to using sphere projection. One major limitation is that it is impossible to accurately represent the entire spherical object on a flat surface without some distortion. This can lead to inaccuracies in terms of distance, shape, and size on maps. Additionally, different sphere projections may have different levels of distortion, so it's important to choose the most appropriate projection for the intended use of the map.