Speed of waves in a cup of coffee that spills over, help please

In summary, the speed of waves in a cup of coffee that spills over when walking at a pace of 1 step per second can be calculated using the longitudinal wave speed formula, v = √(bulk modulus/density), where the density of coffee and the bulk modulus can be estimated. This is due to the continual amplification of the wave as it reflects back and forth within the cup.
confusedbyphysics
Speed of waves in a cup of coffee that spills over, help please!

"When you walk with a cup of coffee (diameter 9 cm) at just the right pace of about 1 step per second, the coffee builds up its "sloshing" until eventually, after a few steps, it starts to spill over the top. What is the speed of the waves in the coffee?"

I would show my work but I have NO clue how to even approach this. Only thing I can think of to use is the longitudinal wave speed in a fluid which is v = square root ( bulk modulus / density). But I don't know density of coffee or how to calculate bulk modulus. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My first impression was that you'd use something simpler

Consider a wave peak that is created at the center due to your first step. This wave moves to the edge of the cup, gets reflected back and the peak reaches the center back again just in time for your next step which causes another peak, continually amplifying the wave with each step.

From the known diameter and and assumed waveform/wavelength, you can derive a velocity. That's my idea.

I would start by gathering more information about the coffee and the cup. This would include the density of the coffee, the material and shape of the cup, and the amount of coffee in the cup. I would also consider the temperature and viscosity of the coffee, as these factors can affect the speed of waves in a fluid.

Once I have all of this information, I would use the formula for wave speed in a fluid that you mentioned (v = √(bulk modulus/density)) to calculate the speed of the waves in the coffee. The bulk modulus is a measure of how resistant a substance is to compression, and can be calculated using the Young's modulus (a measure of stiffness) and the Poisson's ratio (a measure of how a material deforms under stress).

However, it is important to note that this formula assumes small, uniform waves in a homogeneous fluid. In the case of a sloshing cup of coffee, the waves may be larger and more complex, and the coffee may not be completely homogeneous. This could affect the accuracy of the calculation.

Another approach could be to use high-speed video footage of the coffee spilling over to measure the distance and time it takes for the waves to travel from one side of the cup to the other. This could give a more precise measurement of the wave speed in this specific scenario.

In any case, it is important to remember that the speed of the waves in a cup of coffee spilling over is not a constant value, as it can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. It is also worth noting that the speed of the waves may not have a significant impact on the overall spilling process, as the motion of the cup and the viscosity of the coffee are likely more important factors.

Related to Speed of waves in a cup of coffee that spills over, help please

What causes the waves in a cup of spilled coffee?

The waves in a cup of spilled coffee are caused by the movement of the liquid. When a cup of coffee is spilled, the liquid moves and creates ripples, similar to the way waves are created in a larger body of water.

What factors affect the speed of the waves in a cup of spilled coffee?

The speed of the waves in a cup of spilled coffee can be affected by several factors, including the temperature of the coffee, the shape and size of the cup, and the surface on which the coffee is spilled. The viscosity of the liquid and the force at which it is spilled can also impact the speed of the waves.

How can the speed of the waves in a cup of spilled coffee be measured?

The speed of the waves in a cup of spilled coffee can be measured using a stopwatch or timer. Simply start the timer when the coffee is spilled and stop it when the waves reach a certain point, then divide the distance by the time to calculate the speed.

Is the speed of the waves in a cup of spilled coffee constant?

No, the speed of the waves in a cup of spilled coffee is not constant. It can vary depending on the factors mentioned above and can also change as the waves travel further away from the source of the spill.

What other factors should be considered when studying the speed of waves in a cup of spilled coffee?

When studying the speed of waves in a cup of spilled coffee, it is important to consider the properties of the liquid, such as its density and surface tension. The effects of gravity and air resistance may also play a role in the speed of the waves. Additionally, the shape and material of the cup can impact the formation and speed of the waves.