Unit conversion - stress-wave propagation speed

In summary, to convert the resulting value of stress-wave propagation speed from GPa and gm/cc to m/s, you can follow these steps: first, convert GPa to Pa by multiplying by 10^9. Then, convert gm/cc to kg/m^3 by multiplying by 1000. Finally, plug in these converted units into the formula for calculating stress-wave propagation speed and simplify to get the result in m/s.
omidd
Dear Friends,

The stress-wave propagation speed is calculated using : sqrt (elastic modulus/density)
The unit of elastic modulus is GPa, and that of density is gram/cm^dim

Can anyone please tell me how I can convert the resulting value to m/s (meter/second)?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
omidd said:
Dear Friends,

The stress-wave propagation speed is calculated using : sqrt (elastic modulus/density)
The unit of elastic modulus is GPa, and that of density is gram/cm^dim

Can anyone please tell me how I can convert the resulting value to m/s (meter/second)?

Regards
I'm not sure what cm^dim is.

Any density given in g / cc can also be converted to kg / m3

Pascals are derived units. Write pascals in terms of basic units and see what's left after dividing by density.

Using these units (GPa and gm/cc) the velocity is in km/s so multiply by 1000

caz said:
Using these units (GPa and gm/cc) the velocity is in km/s so multiply by 1000
Instead of learning 20 different cases, it is easier to learn how to convert units in general:

GPa = 109 Pa
kg = 1000 g
m = 100 cm, which implies m3 = 1003 cm3
All those are universal SI prefixes.

Pa = N/m2

If you plug in your units, convert them and simplify, you'll naturally get the correct result.

Related to Unit conversion - stress-wave propagation speed

1. What is unit conversion for stress-wave propagation speed?

Unit conversion for stress-wave propagation speed is the process of converting the units of measurement used to describe the speed at which stress waves propagate through a material. This is typically done to make the measurements more understandable or comparable to other units of measurement.

2. Why is unit conversion important for studying stress-wave propagation speed?

Unit conversion is important for studying stress-wave propagation speed because different units of measurement can make it difficult to compare and analyze data. By converting to a common unit, such as meters per second, scientists can more easily understand the relationship between stress wave speed and other variables.

3. How is unit conversion for stress-wave propagation speed typically performed?

Unit conversion for stress-wave propagation speed is typically performed by using mathematical equations or conversion factors. These conversion factors are based on the relationship between different units and can be found in conversion tables or calculated using dimensional analysis.

4. What are some common units used to measure stress-wave propagation speed?

Some common units used to measure stress-wave propagation speed include meters per second, feet per second, and kilometers per hour. Other units such as miles per hour, kilometers per second, and centimeters per second may also be used, but are less common.

5. How can incorrect unit conversion affect the results of a study on stress-wave propagation speed?

Incorrect unit conversion can greatly affect the results of a study on stress-wave propagation speed. It can lead to errors in calculations and misinterpretation of data. This can ultimately result in inaccurate conclusions and hinder the progress of scientific research in this field.