Speed of Muon: Conservation of Momentum/Energy

• Thread starter Tony11235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Muon Speed
In summary, the positive pion decays into a muon and a neutrino with rest masses m_\pi and m_\mu respectively. Using conservation of momentum and energy, it can be shown that the speed of the muon is given by the equation \frac{u}{c} = \frac{(m_\pi/m_\mu)^2 - 1}{(m_\pi/m_\mu)^2 + 1}. The energy of the neutrino should also be taken into account when solving for the speed of the muon.
Tony11235
The positive pion decays into a muon and a neutrino. The pion has rest mass [tex] m_\pi [/tex], the muon has [tex] m_\mu [/tex] , while the neutrino has [tex] m_v = 0[/tex]. Assuming the original pion was at rest, use conservation of momentum and energy to show that the speed of the muon is given by:

[tex] \frac{u}{c} = \frac{ (m_\pi/m_\mu)^2 - 1}{ (m_\pi/m_\mu)^2 + 1} [/tex]I've tried [tex] m_\pi c^2 = \gamma m_\mu c^2 [/tex]. No success with that. I've also tried the relationship [tex] \beta = pmuc/E [/tex]. Still no. I know it SAYS to use conservation of energy and momentum, but I have yet to put together a correct relationship. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Since the neutrino is massless its energy and momentum are related by E = pc.

So did I leave out the energy from the neutrino?
[tex] \pi^+ \rightarrow \mu^+ +v[/tex]

[tex] m_\pi c^2 = \gamma m_\mu c^2 + p_vc[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes, you left out the neutrino energy.

You should arrive at

[tex]\frac { m_{\pi}} {m_{\mu}} = \gamma (1 +u/c)[/tex]

after combining the energy and momentum equations and the rest is simple algebra.

Related to Speed of Muon: Conservation of Momentum/Energy

1. What is the speed of a muon?

The speed of a muon can vary, but on average it travels at approximately 0.99 times the speed of light, or about 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How is the speed of a muon related to conservation of momentum?

The speed of a muon is related to the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the momentum of a muon before and after a collision or interaction will be equal, even if its speed changes.

3. Can the speed of a muon change?

Yes, the speed of a muon can change depending on its interactions with other particles or fields. However, the principle of conservation of energy states that the total energy of a closed system must remain constant, so any increase in speed would be offset by a decrease in energy.

4. How does the speed of a muon affect its decay?

The speed of a muon does not directly affect its decay. Muons have a finite lifetime, regardless of their speed, and will eventually decay into other particles. However, the speed of a muon can affect the distance it travels before decaying.

5. How is the speed of a muon measured?

The speed of a muon can be measured using a variety of methods, including time-of-flight measurements, particle detectors, and precision magnetic fields. These methods allow scientists to accurately determine the speed of a muon and study its properties and interactions.