Speed of light in pure Hydrogen

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speed of light in hydrogen and how it can be calculated or found for different elements. The poster also shared their method of calculating the speed of light in hydrogen and received feedback on the accuracy of their answer.
Arnaho
Hello Everyone

Can anyone tell me what is the speed of light in hydrogen or may be where can I find that for all the elements.
Has these datas available already in or books.
Thanks in advance !

Science news on Phys.org
Arnaho said:
Hello Everyone

Can anyone tell me what is the speed of light in hydrogen or may be where can I find that for all the elements.
Has these datas available already in or books.
Thanks in advance !

This is a very vague question, because it depends on the gas DENSITY. I could have only one hydrogen atom in a vacuum and the speed of light would not change by any noticeable means.

Zz.

Hi Zz. !
Thanks ! Yes of course ! Say we are in space with 1m3 of H2 trapped inside a chamber. And now if we pass the light thru it, than can we know the difference in the speed of light compared to its original ?

Arnaho said:
Hi Zz. !
Thanks ! Yes of course ! Say we are in space with 1m3 of H2 trapped inside a chamber. And now if we pass the light thru it, than can we know the difference in the speed of light compared to its original ?

You've just given me the volume of the gas, not its density.

Zz.

Oops ! Let's assume the density is 0.0899 kg/m3. How should I proceed now ??!
Thanks for your answers.

At stp the refractive index of hydrogen (H2) is 1.000 132 (for Sodium D line probably)
The refractive index increases linearly with pressure (for an ideal gas) but i don't have the constant for hydrogen

mgb_phys said:
The refractive index increases linearly with pressure (for an ideal gas) but i don't have the constant for hydrogen

Wouldn't (n-1) simply be proportional to the gas density?

Redbelly98 said:
Wouldn't (n-1) simply be proportional to the gas density?

Yes sorry, I meant (n-1) rather than n. We tend to assume (n-1) .
But the poster presumably still needs the constant.

Hello again, So I calculated the light speed in H2 and its value is this 299960405.22 m/s. Almost equal to its speed in vacuum. This is how I did, I got the refractive index for H2 and its 1.000132. And 1/1.000132 will give us 0.99986... when multiplied with the Speed of light in vacuum ie, 3x10^8 m/s we will get the speed of light in H2. Please correct me if am wrong. Thanks !

There is a problem that your answer is actually greater than c! The issue here is with the accuracy of your answer (i.e. number of significant figures)

If you're using 3x108 m/s for c, that's only 1 significant digit of accuracy, so the answer for H2 would still be 3x10^8 m/s.

Even if you use 3.00x108 m/s, that still won't change significantly when divided by 1.000132.

Better yet: use 2.997925x108 m/s. That has the same number of significant figures (7) as the refractive index.

Okay, Thanks ! I will try with this and let see what comes up !

Related to Speed of light in pure Hydrogen

1. What is the speed of light in pure Hydrogen?

The speed of light in pure Hydrogen is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is the same speed as the speed of light in a vacuum, as Hydrogen is the lightest and most basic element.

2. How does the speed of light in Hydrogen compare to other elements?

The speed of light in pure Hydrogen is the same as the speed of light in a vacuum. This is because Hydrogen is the lightest element and has the simplest atomic structure, allowing light to travel through it with minimal disruption.

3. Can the speed of light in Hydrogen be affected by external factors?

No, the speed of light in pure Hydrogen is a fundamental constant and is not affected by external factors such as temperature or pressure.

4. Why is the speed of light in pure Hydrogen important to study?

Studying the speed of light in pure Hydrogen can provide insight into the fundamental properties and behaviors of light, as well as the atomic structure and behavior of Hydrogen. It can also help scientists better understand the nature of space and time.

5. Has the speed of light in Hydrogen ever been measured experimentally?

Yes, the speed of light in pure Hydrogen has been measured experimentally using various methods, including interferometry and spectroscopy. These experiments have confirmed the consistency of the speed of light in a vacuum and have helped refine our understanding of light and atomic structure.