Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of thought and its relationship to the speed of light. It is mentioned that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light and that thoughts are governed by the same rules as other biological and physical processes. The dimensions of the brain are also mentioned and there is a mention of a document from a doctor about the size and weight of a brain. The conversation ends with a question about how to measure the distance that a thought has traveled.
sAzt71
Hello,

I came to this site, with a question in mind.

The speed of light. Nothing travels faster than the speed of light. This is a phrase, most of us are familiar with, to some extent.

The word "Nothing" has two syllables, "No" & "Thing". There is no thing, that can, travel faster than the speed of light ?

To "think", is not a "thing". Therefore, thought, is not governed by the speed or frequency of light.

Our Eyes, receive Photon(s), from a Wave, with the Frequency of light. Do our Minds, receive Thought(s), from a Wave, with the Frequency of ? to think !

Who can gauge the distance, thought has traversed, if at all any.

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 894
Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
sAzt71 said:
To "think", is not a "thing". Therefore, thought, is not governed by the speed or frequency of light.
Hi sAzt71, I have a question for you:
Do thoughts travel?
And if they do, where do they travel from?

I also have a spoiler below...
The speed of light is also a limit for how fast signals can travel, which includes all forms of communication.

Likes russ_watters
I can imagine a speed faster than light. I can even do calculations in a hypothetical theory in which such speeds are allowed. :smile:

sAzt71 said:
Thoughts are just nerve impulses and chemical neuro transmitters, so they are all restricted by the same rules that govern other biological chemical reactions and physical electrical signals.

A link here to a few interesting points on the subject

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/DavidParizh.shtml

So although "a thought" is not a physical object, the "thought" process involves physical objects within the brain and is therefore limited by c (although this limitation is irrelevant since the speeds involved are much slower anyway). The c limit might be of more importance in electronic or photonic AI.

sAzt71 said:
Do our Minds, receive Thought(s), from a Wave
What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Likes Asymptotic and phinds
Jehannum said:
So although "a thought" is not a physical object, the "thought" process involves physical objects within the brain and is therefore limited by c (although this limitation is irrelevant since the speeds involved are much slower anyway). The c limit might be of more importance in electronic or photonic AI.

The dimensions of our Brain are; 20cm long x 10 cm high x 10 cm across, approximately.

sAzt71 said:
The dimensions of our Brain are; 20cm long x 10 cm high x 10 cm across, approximately.
In other words, less than 1 light-nanosecond in every dimension. Now how are you planning to localize a thought and time it to within plus or minus one nanosecond?

Likes davenn
New poster has ben reminded about posting mainstream peer-reviewed links to support their technical questions
jbriggs444 said:
In other words, less than 1 light-nanosecond in every dimension. Now how are you planning to localize a thought and time it to within plus or minus one nanosecond?

I recall, a docment, from a Doctor. with the, Size & Weight, for a Brain, from a deceased Professor.

Was the area of that Brain, equal to, less than or more than, the space of that Mind.

sAzt71 said:
Was the area of that Brain, equal to, less than or more than, the space of that Mind.
What does that even mean?

Likes lekh2003
My goodness. Thread closed for a bit for Moderation...

Likes lekh2003
sAzt71 said:
I recall, a docment, from a Doctor. with the, Size & Weight, for a Brain, from a deceased Professor.

Thread will remain closed unless the OP PMs me the links I requested.

sAzt71 said:
Who can gauge the distance, thought has traversed, if at all any.
This is fairly easy to measure and is done as a diagnostic medical test on a routine basis. The speed of thought tops out at about 120 m/s. Far smaller than c.

Likes Asymptotic and sAzt71

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is typically measured at 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is considered a fundamental constant of the universe and is denoted by the letter "c".

Why is nothing able to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass increases exponentially, making it impossible to accelerate any further. Additionally, time and space also behave differently at high speeds, creating physical barriers that prevent objects from surpassing the speed of light.

Can anything travel at the speed of light?

Yes, only massless particles, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light. This is because they have no rest mass and are not subject to the restrictions of increasing mass and time dilation as they approach the speed of light.

What happens if an object were to travel faster than the speed of light?

It is currently impossible for an object to travel faster than the speed of light. However, if it were to happen, it would violate the laws of physics and cause a ripple effect of paradoxes, such as time travel and infinite energy. This is why the speed of light is considered an unbreakable barrier.

Are there any exceptions to the speed of light limit?

Some scientists have theorized about the existence of "wormholes" which could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel. However, these are purely hypothetical and have not been observed or proven to exist. Additionally, the concept of "quantum entanglement" suggests that particles can communicate with each other instantaneously, but this does not violate the speed of light limit as no information or energy is actually being transmitted.