Speed of chain with few variables

In summary, the problem involves a chain sliding down from the edge of a table with no friction. To solve it, you will need to use a free body diagram and consider conservation of energy. The solution will involve calculating the potential energy lost by the chain once it has left the table.
BearMan
I have no idea how to solve this. All i can think of is that you need mass to solve the problem.

Homework Statement

A chain is lying flat on a table. It has no friction against the flat surface. You pull the chain to the edge of the table so that it from a resting state starts to slide down from the table. The chain is 30 cm long. Calculate the chains velocity when the chain has left the table.

Homework Equations

v^2*m*0.5 = Ek

Physics news on Phys.org
BearMan said:
I have no idea how to solve this. All i can think of is that you need mass to solve the problem.

Homework Statement

A chain is lying flat on a table. It has no friction against the flat surface. You pull the chain to the edge of the table so that it from a resting state starts to slide down from the table. The chain is 30 cm long. Calculate the chains velocity when the chain has left the table.

Homework Equations

v^2*m*0.5 = Ek

As usual with these types of questions, start by drawing the free body diagram (FBD) for the setup. In this case, I would draw 3 FBDs -- one for the case when the chain is just barely starting to fall, one for mid-fall, and one for when the full chain has just left the table.

I would also think about conservation of energy for this one, to avoid some difficult differential equations. You're going to have potential energy transferred to kinetic as the chain falls, so the solution will involve thinking about how much potential energy is going to be lost by the chain once it has left the table.

Likes 1 person

Related to Speed of chain with few variables

1. What is the speed of a chain with few variables?

The speed of a chain with few variables is dependent on several factors, including the length and weight of the chain, as well as the amount of friction and tension present. Therefore, it is difficult to give a specific answer without knowing these variables.

2. How does the length of the chain affect its speed?

The longer the chain, the more surface area there is for friction to occur, which can slow down the speed of the chain. However, if the chain is too short, it may not have enough weight or tension to maintain a consistent speed.

3. Can the weight of the chain affect its speed?

Yes, the weight of the chain can have a significant impact on its speed. Heavier chains will require more force to move, which can slow down their speed. On the other hand, lighter chains may move more quickly, but they may also be more prone to tangling or breaking.

4. How does friction affect the speed of a chain?

Friction is a force that resists motion, so the more friction present, the slower the speed of the chain will be. Friction can be caused by a variety of factors, such as rough surfaces, tight bends, or even the weight of the chain itself.

5. Is there a way to increase the speed of a chain with few variables?

Yes, there are a few ways to potentially increase the speed of a chain with few variables. These include reducing friction by using lubrication or smoother surfaces, decreasing the weight of the chain, or increasing the tension on the chain to help it move more quickly.